Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Over 65 personal allowance - any tips to increase... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Over 65 personal allowance - any tips to increase it?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,438
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 19-03-2008, 8:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 125
Default Over 65 personal allowance - any tips to increase it?

Having got the money saving bug (thanks to this excellent site) I've sorted out my parents savings and was now wondering if there's any way I can increase my dad's personal allowance?

He's a retired 70 y.o and misses out on the married couples allowance by just 2 years. He's been given tax code K40 for 08/09 as his taxable income for the year is worked out at 3423 and his works company pension is 3023 (a shortfall of 400 to be added). Both parents are disabled and receive the top rate of DLA care & mobility allowance and I thought I'd make some enquiries to see if there are any other allowances on offer to increase his personal allowance and bring down that K40. Thanks
panther is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 19-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Yorks
Posts: 10,275

Originally Posted by panther View Post
and bring down that K40.
You mean increase it? As that's a negative code of 400. His personal allowance should start out at 9030 (08-09) so there must be around 9430 of deductions in respect of untaxed pensions etc - resulting in the K40. Bear in mind the Chancellor increased the 65+ personal allowance quite considerably (by 1480) in this last Budget round. So 'increasing' his allowances can probably only be achieved by reducing his untaxed income! A bit self-defeating, as at least he will be getting 80p in every 1.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
Mikeyorks is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 19-03-2008, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 125

Yes I meant increase. Last year (with personal allowance 7550) his tax code was K152. So they've adjusted it to reflect the increase in allowance. He paid a total of 732 tax for 07/08 and using the tax calculator I've worked out this coming tax year with K40 he will pay around 685. So about 47pa or 90p a week better off. I just wondered if there was any other allowances available that we don't know about that could increase his 9030 personal allowance. He doesn't pay a great deal tax but the more that stays in our pocket the better. I notice that the Isle of Man have a Disabled Person's allowance for anyone receiving DLA but unfortunetly we don't.
panther is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 20-03-2008, 7:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,880

If there are any deductions in his code for untaxed interest then he would be better putting more money in ISA's.

Also check what total estimated income his code is based on. The full 65+ personal allowance is means tested and if his total income goes above 21800 in 08/09 then he will not be entitled to all of the age allowance part of it, ie anything between 5435 and 9030.
Pam17 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:16 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 15 April 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

  • BBC, "Ros Altmann'd be made Tory consumer protection minister, Cameron says she's UK's leading expert on pensions, savings & financial ed"
  • To those asking about the EE power bars "18mth hire" term. This is covered in theMSE guide (
  • RT @s_johnson29: @MartinSLewis so it was your fault there were que's out side EE shop when I went to pick my new phone up ?

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed