Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
  • fengirl
    • 28th Feb 08, 8:09 PM
    • 28th Feb 08, 8:09 PM
    Your UTR is your unique taxpayer reference when you are self employed. This is a bit cheeky of them to ask as they could potentially access your tax records with it. Either you are self employed or you are not - its the relationship between you and them that counts, not whether or not you have a URT.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 29th Feb 08, 8:30 PM
    • 17,019 Posts
    • 16,288 Thanks
    • 29th Feb 08, 8:30 PM
    • 29th Feb 08, 8:30 PM
    You might do better asking this on the 'up your income' board, where there is a regular thread on mystery shopping. Certainly I shop for a wide range of companies, but I have never been asked for my UTR, nor would I give it. AFAIK you don't get issued with a UTR until you register for your first tax return, which could be over 18 months after you start self-employment!

I would love to know which company this is - I suppose you are certain that they haven't used these intials as an abbreviation for some strange phrase of their own????
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting the Trussell Trust. Visit our donations page at justgiving, and search for jobbingmusician!
  • Conor
    • 29th Feb 08, 11:12 PM
    • 29th Feb 08, 11:12 PM
    You can't blame them for asking for it as proof you've registered as self employed because many people don't, just say they have and then it's the company that gets into trouble.

I can't remember when I got my UTR but it was by no means as long as 18 months.

Have you registered as self employed, Dannydebt, because if you haven't and you're doing this self employed, you're breaking the law regardless of how little you earn from it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

6,940Users online

Martin's Twitter