IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
UTR Number ?
Closed Thread
Views: 27,114
# 1
Dannydebt
Old 28-02-2008, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default UTR Number ?

I have just started a spot of Mystery shopping and one of the companies is asking for my UTR number ?, and I do not know why they want it, or indeed what they are going to do with it ?, do they need this to Tell the Inland Revenue that you are working for them ?, they said it was 'Just for there records'.
# 2
fengirl
Old 28-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to fengirl

Your UTR is your unique taxpayer reference when you are self employed. This is a bit cheeky of them to ask as they could potentially access your tax records with it. Either you are self employed or you are not - its the relationship between you and them that counts, not whether or not you have a URT.
# 3
jobbingmusician
Old 29-02-2008, 8:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You might do better asking this on the 'up your income' board, where there is a regular thread on mystery shopping. Certainly I shop for a wide range of companies, but I have never been asked for my UTR, nor would I give it. AFAIK you don't get issued with a UTR until you register for your first tax return, which could be over 18 months after you start self-employment!

I would love to know which company this is - I suppose you are certain that they haven't used these intials as an abbreviation for some strange phrase of their own????
I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Trainingboards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

# 4
Conor
Old 29-02-2008, 11:12 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can't blame them for asking for it as proof you've registered as self employed because many people don't, just say they have and then it's the company that gets into trouble.

I can't remember when I got my UTR but it was by no means as long as 18 months.

Have you registered as self employed, Dannydebt, because if you haven't and you're doing this self employed, you're breaking the law regardless of how little you earn from it.
Closed Thread