newspaper from year you were born?

Options
I apologise if this has been covered before, but I've had a bit of a search around the forum and not found anything.

I've got my Dad's 70th coming up and most helpfully he can 't think of anything he wants! Then I thought of the newspapers you can get (Times and also others) - the originals printed the day the person was born. I think he'd be quite interested in this.

I just googled to find online sites selling these and was a bit suprised at the high prices - (but hey! it's a special birthday). Round about £30 and up and with the options of fancy gift cases adding even more. Wondered if anyone here has done this before and knows which site is good value and also any places that have let you down and should be avoided.

Thanks people.

Comments

• SueMaggie
    SueMaggie Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Options
    As well as newspapers you can get DVDs and CDs etc covering a particular year.

Here's a DVD about 1938 http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/510024/The-Time-Of-Your-Life-1938/Product.html

Can't find a specific CD at the moment but know they exist for the 30s etc

Here's the Wikipedia page from 1938. You could have a look through and buy him some things that are the same age as him eg first ever copy of The Beano was that year so get a current one -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938

It also gives you a list of famous people born that year so there may be someone born on the same day as him.

Here's a list of films that came out in 1938 so you could get some on DVD (it's a long list that you'll have to click to continue) -

http://www.imdb.com/List?year=1938

You can also get books of photographs like "Sheffield in the 1930s" or "Kent in the 1930s" so if you know where he was born you could probably get something like that and see how much it's all changed.

So for the same price as a newspaper you could probably get a few things and make up a basket. Add some "old-fashioned" sweets that he likes and I'm sure he'll be delighted.

I say all this as someone who spent quite a lot a few years ago getting a paper from the 1950s for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. It was barely even looked at on the day and thrown in the cupboard even though my father-in-law had worked as a printer for the paper I'd got them!

So I'd recommend something else...
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a book of newsaper items about Liverpool football club for OH from www.gettingpersonal.co.uk I seem to remember they did newspapers and the name of the person could be put on the cover with an inscription inside.
    The one I got cost me £44 (or around that I think)........more than I normally would pay but OH had been especially good during a difficult year so he was worth it.
    Delivery with these people was very prompt and I was really happy with how it looked.

The only other option I can think of is something I did for my son - I googled like made and found all sorts of things that happened the year he was born..............music, news, fashion, house furnishings, toys, birth sign, all sorts of stuff like that.I put it all in a folder that I decorated it in 1960''s style and he was thrilled to bits. It was certainly a cheaper option.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • davetrousers
    Options
    I don't see the point in these. It's not like you can remember anything that happened that year.

• hels102
    hels102 Posts: 737 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread, although I haven't helped you, you have helped me! it's my grandparents 50th Anniversary and we have decided to get a copy of the local paper on the day they were married.
    Thanks
    :xmassmile Looking forward to December:xmassmile
  • sharonace
    Options
    I have used this site a few times, http://www.inthepaper.co.uk really good service. They can do a mock up of a newspaper but with a photo that you email and adapt a variety of story lines to suit the person, especially some of the funny ones. Prices start from about £12. Every time I have used them they have automatically sent me 2 copies, 1 foc.
  • mum_to_izzy
    mum_to_izzy Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    I have also used inthepaper, several times, I highly recommend them - if youdo a google search you will find a site that gives you a code for a few £££ off.
  • Chester_Draws
    Options
    Bad Spellers of the world untie
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    That sounds a gd idea, ive got my dads 70th bday this yr and my friends her and her husbands 50th bay.

id highly recommend these 2 sellers on ebay

"000allsorts000" - brought set of cuff links - coins from 1958 - £5.00 + postage, then got a coin made into keyring £4.99 - free post

"borshecollectables" - i brought some coins but they are mounted in a little package and have messages, hapy birthday, happy anniversary. Think they were £3.00 each.

really unusual, personal, look more expensive.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sharonace wrote: »
    I have used this site a few times, http://www.inthepaper.co.uk really good service. They can do a mock up of a newspaper but with a photo that you email and adapt a variety of story lines to suit the person, especially some of the funny ones. Prices start from about £12. Every time I have used them they have automatically sent me 2 copies, 1 foc.

£9.99 from Tesco photo, I used them at Christmas and also got 2 copies of each newspaper and very quick delivery time.

http://www.tescophoto.com/wpp/tesco/buygifts_uitp.jsp
  • Sunni_Sue
    Options
    I don't see the point in these. It's not like you can remember anything that happened that year.

You can if you buy them for an anniversary - I found this thread searching for one from the date of my parents wedding as a ruby wedding gift :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure