IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Coppers into hard cash
Closed Thread
Views: 2,901
# 1
WOW Factor 0
SambaRamba
Old 23-10-2004, 1:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Coppers into hard cash

Do you have draws, tins, pockets - and whatever else can be used to shove things in - full of 1 and 2 pence pieces?

Can be bothered to count them all out, bag them up and take them to the bank?

Well, the other day I decided to have a root around the house and found myself a small carrier bag full of the things.

I promptly took them to my local Asda where they have a copper coverting machine, just tip your mouldy old coins in and wait as it counts up your penny's and then spits out some nice crisp notes.

You should have a look round the house, who knows, this time tomorrow you may have an extra £30 in your pocket.
# 2
Tony H
Old 23-10-2004, 4:14 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Re: Coppers into hard cash

Don't you find that noisy machine a little embarrassing, I used one once and it sorted in my favour. The noise was terrible though you can feel people staring at you even when facing the machine.

I now have electonic postal scales which I weigh coins on giving precise amounts of 1p's, 2p's, 5p's & 10p's I then deposit them straight into my daughters savings account!!
# 3
zcaprd7
Old 23-10-2004, 4:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Take it down the post office (I think the supermarket machines take a cut?)

Use the stamp machines to either buy stamps or to convert into 20ps (or both once you'ce cleared out the 20s)

;D
# 4
SambaRamba
Old 23-10-2004, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ha ha it is a bit cringe-worthy while you're waiting....now that stamp idea sounds good to me...me being a regular ebayer.....
# 5
Chandy
Old 26-10-2004, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The machines in Asda (CoinStar?) take about 7% as a cut.

Wish I'd thought of the idea though!
# 6
steeev
Old 26-10-2004, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
The machines in Asda (CoinStar?) take about 7% as a cut.

Wish I'd thought of the idea though!
i think some of the machines let u make a donation to charity too, not sure of the exact details tho
# 7
divadee
Old 26-10-2004, 9:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

the coinstar machines do donate the 7% they take to charity, so at least you are giving a bit more to a worthwhile cause.

little miss divadee saves all her coppers and does this.
# 8
shrek101
Old 27-10-2004, 4:09 AM

Very good idea, I never seen these in Asda. Although my nearest Asda is 60+ miles away, I can only make it couple of times a year usually for clothes for kids and ME.

# 9
scheming_gypsy
Old 28-10-2004, 12:37 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've got one of those big whiskey bottles almost full of everything from pennies to £1 coins. going to look a right plank emptying that into one of those machines at ASDA
# 10
small
Old 29-10-2004, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I took some coins to the machine in a Sainsbury the other day. Ended up with £145 for a year's wprth of coins.

Had fun doing it with my boy (2 yrs old). I did sort out the pound and 50p coins as we went to save the 7% on them.

There was a student wating behind me with a cup. He put through £3.30 after me but the machine broke. they think I broke it with too many coins!!!
# 11
merrik
Old 05-11-2004, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Newspapers

Thats where I get rid of my change.

Ok, newspapers may be an expense to some , but I occasionally by a copy of the times or the Sun and just take a bag of change from my pot and take it with me to the newsagents.

I keep change bagged up in £2 bags and have £6 quid in total in the pot. If I got above that , it goes in the bank.

Also handy to keep a bag in the car for that unexpected expnse , like you think you have a flat and the petrol station you find doesn give free air.
# 12
jo_b
Old 06-11-2004, 11:59 PM

Slightly off topic, but I wanted to say hello to Merrik. How does it feel to be famous, thanks to Martin's 'Money Diet'?
# 13
mumpamela9
Old 15-11-2004, 10:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

:Not sure which heading this should come under - but I've just found the most wonderful way of SPENDING some of those pennies!
I discovered this organisation called 'Good Gifts (www.goodgifts.org 020 7794 8000) which works through various charities to send money where it is most needed, and buys a gift direct, like providing a small community in Kenya with a small chicken business, or money for shoes for children in Africa who are at risk of hookworm infestation through their bare feet (£15 buys two pairs of shoes), or the same amount of cash buys a goat for a family - all of our money goes into the gift. The one I like best is buying a hive full of bees for a poor, landless family.
Which of us would really miss that amount of money? Especially when its been tucked away in a box in a drawer or something!
The Good Gifts people send out a little catalogue to choose from, and it would be so nice to know you'd made such a difference to someone, maybe a whole family, instead of putting in a collection box and not knowing if anyone will ever see your money or if it'll all go in admin costs.
Someone get me a soapbox..............
# 14
itgirlinuk
Old 18-11-2004, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As everyone else, I had a huge bag of coppers. I went to the local bank and they gave me 1p bags and 2p bags. If you sort them out into 1p and 2p and put them into the bag, then the bank (Barclays) would measure them and deposit it into your account.

I need to do this again - got 3 bags filled with these coins.
# 15
MimiJane
Old 19-11-2004, 12:52 AM

Some/most of the banks take a percentage if you deposit your coins with them and don't have an account.

I always use the Post Office, who don't charge anything.

# 16
matthwnm
Old 13-12-2004, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to matthwnm

Quote:
Very good idea, I never seen these in Asda. Although my nearest Asda is 60+ miles away
Although these seem to be mainly at Asdas we have one in the Foyer of our local Sainsburys too, at Stoke-on-Trent.

The machines I have used allow you to donate your 93% share to charity, or you can choose to have the money. If you take the money you get a printed vocher which can be used for payment or part-payment of your instore shopping, or you can claim the cash by presenting the voucher at customer services desk (not tried this last option yet).

Matthew
# 17
scuzz
Old 19-12-2004, 7:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does anyone know how much you can pay into the bank at once without being charged? I've got loads of coppers and 5p's to pay in
# 18
johnllew
Old 19-12-2004, 8:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
the coinstar machines do donate the 7% they take to charity, so at least you are giving a bit more to a worthwhile cause.
I don't think so; they may give a small proportion to charity but I imagine they keep most to cover the cost of the plant, overheads, supermarket cut etc - this is from their website:

Quote:
Is there a charge to use Coinstar?

Yes. For Coins-To-Cash™ service, Coinstar charges an 8.9% processing fee in the United States, a 9.8% processing fee in Canada, and a 7.5% processing fee in the U.K. For our U.S. customers, this means you'll pay approximately 9 cents for every dollar of coins counted. Our customers tell us they are willing to pay a small service charge for speed and convenience rather than sort, count, roll and carry their coins to a bank.

Does Coinstar offer a reduced fee for non-profit groups?

Yes, Coinstar is happy to offer qualified non-profits the opportunity to apply for a reduced fee. To qualify, non-profits must have 501(C)(3) status and at least $1,800 in change, among other things. Please email coinsthatcount@coinstar.com for more information and the necessary materials to apply for this reduced fee.
I can't imagine why moneysavers would accept a 7.5% cut; I'd rather count it and bank it myself any day.
# 19
VickyA
Old 21-12-2004, 1:25 PM

We put our 1ps, 2ps, 5ps and 20ps into a savings jar. Our bank only takes 3 bags at a time, so whatever we've got a full bag goes. At the moment we're saving up for some of our holiday next year which will be a cottage share in the Lakes with some friends. We're almost there. Anything over will be spending money.....
Closed Thread