Taking over parents mortgage?

My parents have a mortgage and are struggling with the repayments. They're paying 7.2 interest. I think they can get a better deal but they don't because they're in there sixties and there is 20 years plus on the mortgage. Is it possible to transfer the mortgage to one of the children? The mortgage is approximately 1/4 of the value of the house. If this is possible what needs to be done. I take it, that its not as simple as changing the name on the deed and taking over the payments.

Any information welcome.

Comments

• I suppose you could add your name to the mortgage pay it for a while then remortgage it in your own name. Or you could purcahse the house from your parents and as its between family you wont incurr the agents fees that you normally would do. But obviously you would have to pay legal fees etc.

Someone who knows more will be along soon to advise you i am sure;)
    :T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A
  • In order to help people will need tmore information - the size of the mortgage, the size of the income of the person proposing to take on the mortgage, and credit history difficulties etc.

If the parents were to transfer the title of the property to someone not living there then Capital Gains Tax implications would set in, as well as Inheritance Tax/Potenitally Exempt Transaction stuff.

Tell us a little more, and someone will be able to help (even if it's to tell you it's a no-go).
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • The mortgage is 47,000 and the house is valued at around 200,000. The house is not insured. My parents are in there sixties and have a low income (Pension) The interest rate is 7.2%. The mortgage is for at least another 20 years. I want to reduce the mortgage payments for them. With the value to loan ratio, i think the interest rate is a joke but my dad thinks this isn't possible because of there low income, plus no one would insure the house. There is 4 children (2 have mortgages, one lives in the house but on a low income and the 4th rents a room in another city and returns home most weekends. Could possibly claim to live there. He earns 26,000 a year, has no debt (apart from student loan) and could pay 10,000 off the mortgage.

The key is reducing the interest rate and insuring the house.

If you need any other information let me know.
  • Just seen ur post.

If your parents are pensioners and on a low income they should qualify for pension credit. If they do pension credit may assist in the payments of the interest on the mortgage - not the full 7.2% but most of it. This would certainly help them, though they will remain responsible for the repayment part of the mortgage.

Contact Pension Credit through the pension service for further advice. They even have a good website with a calculator which gives fairly good indications. Check the link below:

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pensioncredit/calculator/home.asp

I work for DWP as a decision maker though not in this area but the procedures and decision makers guides are broadly the same for all benefits.

Keep me posted.

Robbiet27
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,573
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why would noone insure the house?
    poppy10
  • Because of the low incomes and age, I think. I find this hard to believe myself. I think my parents are taking some bad advice or they're mis-informed. Thats why I posted on here, to see what people thought and hopefully get some good advice.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,573
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Low incomes and age might be a reason not to offer a mortgage, but shouldn't affect whether they can get home insurance. Something smells fishy here.
    poppy10
  • waddy80
    waddy80 Posts: 1,157
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What type of construction is the house? Had any problems with subsidence floods etc? Really weird that it can't be insured. If you can mortgage it you can insure it.
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Wouldn't it be more sensible if they downsized to a cheaper home for cash and paid off the mortgage?

Another alternative would be equity release, to convert the mortgage into a lifetime one that wasn't repaid until they died or went into care.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Regarding the insurance - it is normally a requirement from the mortgage company for the property (building/s) to be insured to at least the market value of the house - otherwise your mortgage could be deemed not valid.

It seems strange no insurer would provide quote/s for buildings insurance irrespective of your parents age - it is on the property. Though it could be expensive to insure if your property is in an area susceptible to flooding / subsistence etc or if the occupants have made claim/s on their insurance in the past.

This needs to be sorted ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport