Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Helga14
    • 19th Feb 08, 12:46 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 12:46 PM
    Have you got a mortage already? I share my house with my boyfriend but he isn't on the mortgage and he pays rent/share of bills. I went to remortgage and the building society person said that was I was doing was actually against the terms of my mortgage as by recieving rent it was turning the premises into commercial premises. He certainly wouldn't count his rent as an income in order for me to get more money for the the mortgage.

If you have a lodger make sure the insurance you get would cover this.
  • Leon W
    • 19th Feb 08, 1:00 PM
    • 19th Feb 08, 1:00 PM
    elles_belles

To answer your question, no.

Lodgers can be a pretty transient bunch and lenders are not willing to allow this income. If you think about it, and say they did, there would be nothing wrong with taking in 4 or 5 lodgers, getting a dirty great big mortgage, kicking them all out and then trying to struggle along on your own. Lenders HAVE to be seen to be lending responsibly and are frequently visited by the FSA so I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when trying to explain the above scenario !!

Regards
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

334Posts Today

1,008Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On train home from Birmingham. Had dinner by the canal there this evening. Lovely area, very sunny and picturesque.

• Fantastic run by new UK star Zharnell Hughes in @BritAthletics #BritishChamps 200m.I was v proud to present the medal http://t.co/sSSXpM1SBZ

• Ok a wee bit chuffed. Just been asked if I'd like to present a medal at #Britishchamps, someone is now missing a hand as I bit it off!

• Follow Martin