IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free O2 Missed Call Alert
Closed Thread
Views: 16,376
# 1
Mikeboy
Old 21-07-2005, 12:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile Free O2 Missed Call Alert

I don't think this is anything new, but just incase anyone doesn't know - (like myself until 10 minutes ago), O2 has a free call alert service where if your phone is off or you are engaged, O2 send you a text containing the caller's number and time they called.

I believe the person calling is also played a message informing them that a text will be sent to the recipient telling them they tried to call (unless caller withholds their number obviously)

You can have up to 4 missed call alerts sent to you.

To turn the service on call 1710 free, to turn it off call 1760, also free.

And as it is 100% free you don't need any credit to take advantage of it

Mike
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Mikeboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
owey
Old 21-07-2005, 4:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Talking

This will come in handy .
# 3
jockettuk
Old 21-07-2005, 6:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

vodaphone doing the same kind of thing but as i have ditched them for the o2 sim card then this deal is better for me .. thanks
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
Are thinking of you today.
# 4
Cerbera
Old 21-07-2005, 6:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Great, I used to be with Orange and found it really useful.
Thanks for the tip.
NCFC Member#00012

# 5
Viz
Old 21-07-2005, 10:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeboy
You can have up to 4 missed call alerts sent to you.

Mike
Silly question ?

Do you mean upto 4 in one go ? Or just 4 and that's it ?
Never buy a stupid dwarf -
Its not big and its not clever.
# 6
Mikeboy
Old 21-07-2005, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Great Glad it was of help .

& Viz - 4 for each single period of being out of contact !
# 7
jackalsb
Old 21-07-2005, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I did not know about that thanks. Just called and set it up

Cheers
# 8
trace-j
Old 21-07-2005, 3:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does this work on the a bog standard o2 PAYG sim card? The 1710 no doesnt work, also the 1760 turns off the voicemail for PAYG.
I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about
# 9
john1975
Old 21-07-2005, 4:06 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Mike

More details :

http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservices...0,,120,00.html
The Following User Says Thank You to john1975 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
reddwarf2002
Old 21-07-2005, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I read somewhere that the caller gets charged for hearing the message when your mobile is switched off.

This is a shame cos they could have done this free of charge as the caller is not exactly leaving a message! :confused:
# 11
madkid88
Old 21-07-2005, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up

its workin on pay and go, rang up and they enabled it
if i had known then what i know now
# 12
pricefighter
Old 21-07-2005, 6:42 PM

But what the op doesnt tell you is that you lose your 901 voicemail service while you have got this facilty turned on.You cant have both at the same time.Which means that you are inclined to call people back to see why they are ringing you,and want know who all of them are cos they couldnt leave you a message.Personally i think voicemail is better especially in business.
PF.

Last edited by pricefighter; 21-07-2005 at 6:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pricefighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jockettuk
Old 21-07-2005, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
But what the op doesnt tell you is that you lose your 901 voicemail service while you have got this facilty turned on.You cant have both at the same time.Which means that you are inclined to call people back to see why they are ringing you,and want know who all of them are cos they couldnt leave you a message.Personally i think voicemail is better especially in business.
i never have voicemail on especially if i have to pay to hear the messages.. if its important the caller will ring back
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
# 14
feival
Old 21-07-2005, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockettuk
i never have voicemail on especially if i have to pay to hear the messages.. if its important the caller will ring back
Absolutely. Come on everyone - wake up and smell the coffee. Do you not see that this is a way of networks making more money out of you? If the caller hangs up without leaving the message and you were either out of coverage or had the phone off there is no way of you kowing you had a missed call. Now you will know and return the call. If you are true money savers you will not sign up to this offer!!
# 15
AlanS
Old 21-07-2005, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by feival
Absolutely. Come on everyone - wake up and smell the coffee. Do you not see that this is a way of networks making more money out of you? If the caller hangs up without leaving the message and you were either out of coverage or had the phone off there is no way of you kowing you had a missed call. Now you will know and return the call. If you are true money savers you will not sign up to this offer!!
But I have to pay to retrieve voicemail, so if my phone is turned off or I'm out of coverage and someone phoned me, then I'd get a text saying I had voicemail. I wouldn't know who it was, so I'd have to retrieve it (at a cost) to find out who called. This way, I know who called me at zero cost. If it's someone I know I'll ring them back ( I've got a free call allowance but I still get charged to retrieve voicemail ), or send them a text ( I get a free text allowance ) ... or wait till they ring me again ...

Surely this is a better option for anyone who has to pay to retrieve voicemail.

Last edited by AlanS; 21-07-2005 at 11:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlanS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
trace-j
Old 22-07-2005, 2:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
Cheers

Thought there would be a wee catch.
I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about
# 17
shelly
Old 22-07-2005, 3:08 PM

I agree with AlanS.This is much better than voicemail as I also have to pay to retrieve a vm but this way I can see who has tried to call then either text them or call them back using my free minutes and texts.Whenever I get a voicemail I always delete it without listening to it as I have to pay for the privilege of hearing someone saying "Damn it her voicemail is on" then leaving no message at all!...lol.... so this way I spend no more money finding out who has called me.

Great find OP thanks very much
Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
# 18
jockettuk
Old 22-07-2005, 8:07 PM

Quote:
hey who is calling who back lol .. if its a mobile i will txt using free txts if its my daughter i will ring her.. the rest will either ring me back or wait till i get home and i will use my free landline calls lol ..
# 19
feival
Old 23-07-2005, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Lightbulb

OK I forgot some people actually pay to pick up their voice mail. Why though....!
# 20
pricefighter
Old 24-07-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
OK I forgot some people actually pay to pick up their voice mail. Why though....!
Depends what network/tariff/and if you are contract or payg.Thats one of the reasons i use Virgin for my voicemail, its free to pick up messages.

Yes why do you have to pay.After all the person who called you paid to leave the message,
PF.
Closed Thread