Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Is it possible to remove a 'default' from my cred... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is it possible to remove a 'default' from my credit report?
Closed Thread
Views: 56,375
# 1
hutchbeast
Old 15-01-2008, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Is it possible to remove a 'default' from my credit report?

Hi, just got turned down for a loan and wondered why so I got an experian credit report...turns out an unpaid overdraft when I was a student has led to me getting a default...to be honest I'd forgotten all about. It was because I'd not paid an owed fee of around 200. is there any way HSBC will remove this? Can I remove it any other way? On my report I have a red circle with the number '8' inside it..which I'm sure is one of the worst possible? Does this alone get me -8 points on my rating? Not sure how it all works. Please help
# 2
hutchbeast
Old 16-01-2008, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can anyone help pls?
# 3
debrag
Old 16-01-2008, 9:41 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

it will stay on your file for 6 years. What date was it on?
Debts: c2 = 155; c3 = 408 ; c4 = 666 TOTAL = 1322 | I'm collecting DFs = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12! | DRO to drop off 2015 | Credit Card = Capital One Secure | House deposit = 30k by Dec '21 - 5k/30k | Initial move = ? 5k/?
# 4
CLAPTON
Old 16-01-2008, 9:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

There are two ways you can get it removed
a. because its invalid...in this case that doesn't seem likely
b. because you never received the letter saying they were going to default you. So if you didn't receive the default notification, you could write and ask them to prove they sent one etc and then try to get them to remove the default notice.

otherwise it will drop off 6 years from the date of the default.
# 5
edgarjay
Old 16-01-2008, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

have a look at this post hb

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=568224
# 6
hutchbeast
Old 16-01-2008, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This offence happened 8 years ago and its still on my record!Do I just complain to HSBC to get it removed?I've been turned down on three loans recently and this will probably be the reason why...quite harsh and at the same time also harming my credit further I suspect because of the loan rejections?
# 7
debrag
Old 16-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I never recieved a letter about getting a default. Okay so i moved address but they had 5-6 months to tell me!
Debts: c2 = 155; c3 = 408 ; c4 = 666 TOTAL = 1322 | I'm collecting DFs = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12! | DRO to drop off 2015 | Credit Card = Capital One Secure | House deposit = 30k by Dec '21 - 5k/30k | Initial move = ? 5k/?
# 8
Justicia
Old 16-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchbeast View Post
This offence happened 8 years ago and its still on my record!Do I just complain to HSBC to get it removed?
I would personally contact Experian, referencing the report, and seek their guidance in getting this updated. If necessary, Experian will contact the creditor to resolve.
"Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. No one can be "qualified to Part P."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
# 9
Rachid10
Old 06-12-2011, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Removing a default

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to this site and have a few questions. I had an excellent credit history till around 3 years ago got into abit of debt at uni. I had a lloyds credit card which i fell behind on payments, I recieved few collection letters but nothing in the shape of a default letter and they defaulted me for 800, credit limit was 500 and the rest was charges which is now fully satisfied,

Secondly i had a small loan of 500 with natwest around the same time and again fell behind on 3 payments which resulted in a default and again no default notice letter, not only that because the loan defaulted they defaulted my current account aswell because they say its under the same umbrella. All the loan and current account have been repaid in full. Can they do this?. I'm really confused about this and wanted to know if i had a case to having them removed? I am improving my credit rating in the hope of getting a mortgage soon. what steps should i take?

Thanks Rachid
Closed Thread