Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > what is the minimum temperature that you can work... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what is the minimum temperature that you can work in?
Closed Thread
Views: 38,366
# 1
caris
Old 19-12-2007, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default what is the minimum temperature that you can work in?

Hi

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone know if there is a legal temerature requirement that is set for working in a factory. My hubby was in work yesterday and the temp reading was 53f and he was freezing, he wears thermal trousers, vest, t-shirt, jumper and a thick fleece lined shirt/jacket and bodywarmer and was still freezing.

Any info appreciated
Thanks in advance
caris
# 2
lindens
Old 19-12-2007, 1:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

That sounds miserable

I found this

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:
During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.
However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:
‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.
The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’
There is more if you want to read it.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm
As usual not very clear cut.
However, 53fahrenheit is a mere 11.66 celcius, so not warm enough whichever of those 2 above you go by.
I presume there is a union?
You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *

Last edited by lindens; 19-12-2007 at 1:55 PM.
# 3
joolsybools
Old 21-12-2007, 2:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I thought it was 18 degrees centigrade although there are exemptions - however, i just found this on HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/ which looks like it 13, 16 or lower.
Closed Thread