Bailiffs and Sheriffs

Options
Can any explain the difference between a bailiff and a high court sheriff?

I know that you dont have to let a bailiff in, but is this the same for a sheriff?

I had some dealings with a sheriff, but different people have given me different ideas of how to deal with the two...

Just so i know, just incase !

Trying to get debt freeeeee with the help of :money:and experian credit expert
CCJ No 1 - original £1269.00 paid £156.06 balance £1112.94
CCJ No 2 - original £1660.00 paid £0.00 no agreement set up as yet
2 x Defaults - Natwest Bank - Total £465.00 - offer made
Credit score at start 592
Current score 748

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    'Borrowed' from wikipedia...

Contemporary High Sheriffs have few genuine responsibilities and their functions are largely representational:[3][4] Most of the High Sheriff's work is delegated, for example, the local police protect Judges and Courts, so that in effect the post of High Sheriff is essentially a ceremonial post. Theoretical responsibilities include the well-being and protection of High Court Judges, and attending them in Court; and the maintenance of the loyalty of subjects to the Crown.[5]
    The High Sheriff was traditionally responsible for the maintenance of law and order within the county, although most of these duties are now delegated to the professional Chief Constable of Police.[4] Nowadays, the position is frequently awarded to people with an association with law enforcement (police, lawyers, magistrates, judges). See List of Shrievalties.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Angel105
    Angel105 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    ????

why do they collect debts then ? or am i being stoopid !

i havnt had a high court any thing against me, only a county court judgement?
    Current score 748
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    Angel105 wrote: »
    ????

why do they collect debts then ? or am i being stoopid !

i havnt had a high court any thing against me, only a county court judgement?
    sorry I'm just trying to find out... not a lot is known about them from what I can see! what I gather though is that they're representational or in other words are just representing the court rather than having the authority like bailiffs do... kind of like how debt collectors represent the company but can't actually force you to pay?
    I could be wrong though so hold fire until I've found out more or someones confirmed...
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    AHA! have a lookhere

Sheriff -- An officer of the High Court, with similar duties to that of a Bailiff. The Sheriff however, can be used to enforce County Court Judgements which exceed £650 and he will levy additional fees on top of the debt, known as poundage. The Sheriff is instructed under a Writ of Fi Fa.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    Types of bailiff
    A bailiff is someone who is instructed:-
    dot.gifby a creditor to enforce a money debt or a fine
    dot.gifby a landlord to carry out an eviction
    dot.gifby a creditor to repossess goods under hire purchase or a conditional sale agreement
    dot.gifto enforce an injunction
    A bailiff has legal authority to carry out these actions. A bailiff can enter your home and take away possessions which, when sold off, will go towards repaying the money owed.
    There are three different kinds of bailiffs: County Court bailiffs, Sheriff's Officers and private bailiffs.
    County Court bailiffs are directly employed by the County Court and must follow guidelines laid down by the Lord Chancellor's Department.
    Sheriff's Officers are contracted by the High Court and work in geographical county areas. They work out of the local Sheriff's Office under the control of an Under- Sheriff who is usually responsible for that area. If a creditor has a CCJ of more than £600 they can transfer the judgement up to the High Court for enforcement.
    Private bailiffs are self-employed, employed by a private firm, or employed as bailiffs by another organisation (e.g Local Authority, Inland Revenue).
    Certificated bailiffs are granted a certificate following an application to a County Court. Certification is only necessary to empower a bailiff to levy distress for rent arrears and council tax arrears and to enforce road traffic debts, although some local authorities will insist on this for all bailiff work.
    To be granted a certificate a bailiff must:-
    1) Satisfy the court that s/he is a 'fit and proper person' to hold a certificate and possesses sufficiant knowledge of the law of distress; and

2) Lodge in court a bond or deposit for £10,000 or have an insurance indemnity for this amount. A new security must be provided if the old security runs out or is reduced.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    So in plain words a sheriff is a high court enforcement officer.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • Angel105
    Angel105 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    so do u have to let any of them in to your house ?
    Current score 748
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    Noneither but the high court enforcement has more powers than a county court/private bailiff.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • maddriver
    Options
    Never had dealings with a Baliff, but had a Sherif collect money work owed once (admin error).

Was actually quite a nice chap - tho the fact that we were writting a cheque and finding a director to sign it probably helped.

As I understand it anything over £5000 has to be refered to a Sherif, who has more responsibility than a baliff - a higher code of conduct etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure