Interest Received

RG2015
RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 10 March 2018 at 9:30PM in Cutting tax
I have earned interest on my savings but there is nothing on my HMRC online tax record. Does anyone know if this will be included at some point in the future?

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It will be reported to HMRC after the end of the tax year. Although by what date is will show on your record I cannot say.

You should (infact you have a requirement to) update HMRC yourself of the interest received/expected to be received, especially if the interest you have received will affect your tax liability for the year.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • RG2015
    Thanks for your reply.

However, the HMRC website has the following:

"For sole bank account holders, not in Self-Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will normally collect the tax by changing your tax code. Banks and building societies will give HMRC the information they need to do this."

I have also spoken to HMRC and they told be that I do not need to report anything to them as the relevant banks and building societies will update them.

Where is it stated that I am required to inform HMRC?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

However, the HMRC website has the following:

"For sole bank account holders, not in Self-Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will normally collect the tax by changing your tax code. Banks and building societies will give HMRC the information they need to do this."

I have also spoken to HMRC and they told be that I do not need to report anything to them as the relevant banks and building societies will update them.

Where is it stated that I am required to inform HMRC?

Each and every individual taxpayer in the UK is responsible for ensuring that they pay the correct amount of tax. It matters not where your income comes from, each taxpayer is responsible for ensuring the right tax is paid. Is responsible for notifying HMRC of personal changes, changes to income and employer benefits, other income changes including savings and investments.

This is covered ultimately in the taxes management act 1970

The banks should notify HMRC after the end of the tax year. The date this should happen by is not yet confirmed. If not all the interest received is notified to HMRC then you will be responsible for telling HMRC what the correct amount is.

Furthermore, this only applies to accounts in a single name. Therefore if you have any interest paid on joint accounts this will not be recorded automatically on your record.

If the amount included in your tax code is higher/lower than you expect, then it be down to you to notify HMRC to change that amount should you want a more accurate figure in your code rather than adjusting at the yr end.

This applies to any and all changes that affect not only your tax liabity, but also things like change of address, marriage/seperation details, starting/stopping non paye income, leaving the UK, changes to employer benefits such as company car, changes to any tax reliefs claimed........

Where you start to receive any income which requires you to complete a tax return, or where you have a level of income that brings into affect the higher income child benefit charge you are required to notify HMRC on/before 5 October following the end of the tax year in which the income starts/high income child benefit charge is due.

Failure to make this notification could result in additional charges/penalties/interest being levied.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • RG2015
    Nevertheless, I phoned HMRC and they told me that I did not need to do anything. Why bother with customer helplines if you then ignore their advice?
  • RG2015
    They also told me that interest on joint accounts would be split 50:50. I appreciate your input but am happy to rely on advice from HMRC.

It would still be a comfort though to see the actual figures appear on my online tax record. I guess that I will just have to wait until HMRC do this.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    RG2015 wrote: »
    They also told me that interest on joint accounts would be split 50:50. I appreciate your input but am happy to rely on advice from HMRC.

It would still be a comfort though to see the actual figures appear on my online tax record. I guess that I will just have to wait until HMRC do this.
    for your info:
    a) HMRC call centre staff are call centre staff, they are not tax inspectors and have very limited technical knowledge

b) Dori2o works for HMRC and is not a call centre operator....
  • RG2015
    edited 11 March 2018 at 1:32PM
    00ec25 wrote: »
    for your info:
    a) HMRC call centre staff are call centre staff, they are not tax inspectors and have very limited technical knowledge

b) Dori2o works for HMRC and is not a call centre operator....
    Hi 00ec25,

Many thanks for your very informative post.

I find it rather disturbing that HMRC call centre staff have very limited knowledge on tax issues. However, it is of great comfort that I can get high quality tax advice on a social media forum.

Sadly my psychic powers are a bit rusty and failed to inform me that Dori2o was a tax expert working for HMRC. Perhaps they should apply to MSE to have such information included in their signature like other users do.

All that being said, I am now much better informed although I am still keen to know if and when my interest received will appear on my online tax record.
  • RG2015

In one of your posts you have quoted HMRC's website (gov.uk?) as stating

Directly under that on gov.uk is this,

If you’re a joint bank account holder, not in self-assessment, then please contact HMRC and report the saving income of interest as appropriate.

So it seems we are in a bit of half way house with some details going to provided/used and others not.

Assuming you have no joint accounts it is understandable to want to see the details promised on gov.uk but we are now close to the end of the second tax year this new interest paid gross system has been in place so if you haven't had the interest (or a reasonable estimate) included in your tax code then you could be building up a tax debt covering multiple years. Or maybe your interest is going to be entirely taxed at one of the two 0% rates which apply to savings interest?
  • I can confirm for RG2015 that you cannot rely on HMRC at the moment to collect your savings interest figures correctly from institutions. The correct figure I gave HMRC (by phone) for 2016/17 was simply carried over unchanged for 2017/18.

So I advise registering for an on-line personal tax account and amend figures that way. From the page headed Your PAYE Income Tax summary for..... you need to follow the link Add missing income from another source.
  • The correct figure I gave HMRC (by phone) for 2016/17 was simply carried over unchanged for 2017/18.

It is clear from this thread, and others on the MSE Savings & Investments board that there are some issues/confusion around this subject but surely the logical thing to do is use the latest information you have provided as the estimate for your current tax code. Particularly as we still have another few weeks before it ends.

Or do you you mean you provided a separate figure for 2017:18 and that was ignored?

Your suggestion about using the Personal Tax Account is a good one but I still think using 2016:17 as a starting point for 2017:18 is sensible in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure