How painful is applying for a mortgage renewal now

Options
constantly_confused
constantly_confused Posts: 15 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 5 March 2018 at 10:53PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi,

I am trying to get a feel for just how painful the remortgaging process is now days.

When we brought our house 4 and a bit years ago, we used a broker to source our mortgage product. I have spoken with a broker regarding my renewal, and based on the brief discussion (rough estimate on property value, outstanding loan amount, salary info....) I was advised that applying myself would not be too arduous.

I am considering a First Direct product but am a little perturbed by the 3 hour phone conversations that people have reported.

So the question is, if we assume that FD are drawn out and painful as standard, and we know that the banks have to be more thorough now days. How long does it take to get the paperwork and phone discussion sorted on average?

Cheers

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Start with retention deals from current lender.
  • Schoolworker
    Options
    When we remortgaged 3yrs ago we stayed with our current lender as rates were reasonable but I had a 2 he phone call to go through all financial aspects but we got accepted no problem. Last year we asked for extra borrowing for an extension and did this in branch and was lengthy. It's not hard but you will need all info in front of you of different outgoings. Good luck.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Customer retention products, those your current lender offers when your initial rate ends are usually straightforward to arrange.

A remortgage, which is a new mortgage with a new lender to repay the current one, has similarities with the buying process as status, affordability and valuation are checked.

Do not look at your current lender's remortgage products as those are for borrowers moving their mortgage to the lender.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure