Returning a company car

Options
Good evening

I’m hoping someone maybe able to give me some advise.

I have handed in my notice and have a week left to complete. My company car is being returned on my last working day. Part of my contract states that an amount of money will be withheld and returned in due course once the car has been checked over. I never had an issue with this as I believed it would go back to the leasing company and be checked then any monies returned.

I have now learnt that the car will be taken from me and driven 200 miles to another engineer who will continue to use the car until it is due to be returned to the leasing company in about 18 months.

I am trying to clear up if this is OK as I will have money withheld for an unknown length of time while someone else is driving around in the car. I would have liked to have thought the car would have been unused until my money had been returned on inspection of the car.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take pictures, lots of pictures. Provide a condition summary and ask a senior manager to inspect and sign it.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your money won't be with the leasing company, it'll be held by your employer in the event the leasing company charges them for any excess damage caused by you.

It's as if you hired a car from Avis or Hertz then lent it to a mate to drive. If said mate scratched it, Avis or Hertz bills you, not your mate. So, to ensure you're not on the hook for his bad driving, you take a deposit off him. Get it?

So, check with your HR department, and get them to confirm that your deposit will be returned shortly after you return the car. Your work will probably have a fleet manager who looks after this sort of thing - just as with any hire car, ensure you get a signature to say it's been returned in good condition, and you should be fine. Companies do this all the time, so don't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure