returning an item to the USA

Hi, sorry I wasn't sure where to post this.
I've tried looking online, and on the Royal Mail website but can't find out the info. I need.
My boyfriend bought me a watch through Amazon, shipped in from America. The watch needs returning as it doesn't keep time. Amazon have given me a returns label but I have to pay to return it.

Amazon on a live chat said I needed to pay thej postage and any taxes, but I can't find out anywhere how much the taxes are or if I need to pay as I'm returning.

I'm just trying to work out how much it will be as it might not be worth returning.

Thanks.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know all the details, but you should have paid all the duties and taxes when the watch was imported.

There's some kind of customs declaration you can make that indicates that the goods are being returned/reshipped as faulty, so you won't have to pay taxes twice.

The search results here might help:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=customs+returned+goods

I'm not sure how USA and state laws regard the liability of international return postage costs, though.
  • Thanks. Import tax was paid by the seller. I did a google search myself and checked the .gov website, but could only find info. on returned goods to the EU and not outside.

I'll take another look though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport