Advice needed with hourly contract

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice. I work in the care industry for a private company and I have a contract (reviewed annually) with 30 hours per week. If, due to the nature of my work, one week I only work 20 hours (for example cancellation of shifts last minute or not enough hours due to rest-bite) should I still be entitled to 30 hours pay for that week due to my contact stating 30 hours per week??

To be honest this very rarely happens, thank god, but I wanted to check where I stand with this as I've only been paid for the hours I work and someone mentioned that due to me having a 30 hour contract I should be paid/given other shifts to cover to make up to 30 hours.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Debt busting start date 08/08/18 - total debt £33,222.32 :eek::eek: Debt now £31,352.56 - Paid £1,869.76 - 5.63% @ 05/10/2018

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    If your contact says that you work 30 hours per week and there are no other conditions, then yes, you should be paid whether you work or not. So it would make sense for the emptier too have you work as they have to pay you anyway. But, of course, there's a big difference between your legal right and getting it. What would you intend to do to get it?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And how long have you worked there?

And are you in a union?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In theory if you are contracted to work 30 hours per week then you should work 30 hours per week and be paid for 30 hours per week.
    Depending on the contract you have this might not necessarily be exactly 30 hours every week but might be an average when spread out over a month or even a year.
    Might be worth posting the wording of your contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure