Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Alwaysskint2016
    • By Alwaysskint2016 11th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 51Thanks
    Advice needed with hourly contract
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    Advice needed with hourly contract 11th Jan 18 at 4:21 PM

I'm looking for a little advice. I work in the care industry for a private company and I have a contract (reviewed annually) with 30 hours per week. If, due to the nature of my work, one week I only work 20 hours (for example cancellation of shifts last minute or not enough hours due to rest-bite) should I still be entitled to 30 hours pay for that week due to my contact stating 30 hours per week??

To be honest this very rarely happens, thank god, but I wanted to check where I stand with this as I've only been paid for the hours I work and someone mentioned that due to me having a 30 hour contract I should be paid/given other shifts to cover to make up to 30 hours.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,614 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    If your contact says that you work 30 hours per week and there are no other conditions, then yes, you should be paid whether you work or not. So it would make sense for the emptier too have you work as they have to pay you anyway. But, of course, there's a big difference between your legal right and getting it. What would you intend to do to get it?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    • 38,186 Posts
    • 34,719 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:43 PM
    And how long have you worked there?

And are you in a union?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats and 2 balaclavas for seamen ...
    Current projects: another balaclava for myself, must find a mohair cardigan pattern ...
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 12th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:30 AM
    In theory if you are contracted to work 30 hours per week then you should work 30 hours per week and be paid for 30 hours per week.
    Depending on the contract you have this might not necessarily be exactly 30 hours every week but might be an average when spread out over a month or even a year.
    Might be worth posting the wording of your contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,106Posts Today

6,908Users online

Martin's Twitter