Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xcxcsophiexcxc
    • By xcxcsophiexcxc 10th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 68Thanks
    xcxcsophiexcxc
    Someone slap me
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    Someone slap me 10th Jan 18 at 10:01 PM
    I'm probably going to seem like a really rubbish friend.
    I have been comping lightly for a few years but I do it more than ever now as I fell pregnant and knew I'd be raising a child on my own from pretty early on so I do it to improve mine and my sons life.
    recently I introduced one of my best friends in to it, often she finds comps through my social feeds or I've sent them to her or she finds them herself.
    Unfortunately my happiness for her wins has turned into a quiet resentment. I'm very strapped for cash and I guess I'm jealous as she has been lucky to win 2 massive competitions in a few months which has been over £6000. Unfortunately I've never been anywhere close to that sort of prize let alone twice !
    One of the best things in this forum is being able to be happy for people who've won, it's really encouraging. But has anyone ever begun to feel sour ? Or am I just an awful comper?
    Last edited by xcxcsophiexcxc; 11-01-2018 at 6:45 PM.
Page 1
    • deb2112
    • By deb2112 11th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    deb2112
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    When someone announces a big win in IWIWIW it's encouraging because it means it can be done. However, if that win is closer to home (ie you know the winner in "real" life) you can see how the prize is being used/spent and how it improves the winner's life. So it is natural to be a bit envious and wish it was you instead, especially if you could really do with a bit of a boost, financially and emotionally. I'm guessing you don't wish your friend hadn't won, just that you had too and the fact that you are worrying about these feelings actually makes you a better friend than you realise, so go easy on yourself. Try to be encouraged by your friend's win, just like you are by the dozens of wins you see each month on this forum. Your next win could come today or tomorrow. It may be big or it may be small but it will improve things for you, even if only by a small amount and it will certainly make you smile. Another way to think of it is that there are many prizes out there that have been won by people who aren't you or your friend. Would you really rather your friend hadn't won and some stranger had? The prize would always have benefited someone so isn't it better that it is someone you care about?
    Good luck to you and to your friend with all your future comping xx
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 11th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 322,691 Thanks
    BlueBella
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    Here's a slap from me!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • emmaandbunni
    • By emmaandbunni 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    emmaandbunni
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    I can totally understand where you are coming from a friend of mine started entering a few comps I posted and even commented a few time when I won saying "you always win" well her husband was randomly picked out of the audience for a game show and won car, holiday ect.. value around 30k and to be fair my initial reaction was that I could actually punch her in the throat lol, however that soon passed and now I am really pleased for her. I think my time will come and I am happy for my wins. I find a lot of my friends will start a bit of comping when they find out what I do but they become bored quite quickly.
    as someone else has said it is easier to feel pleased for people when you don't know them but there is not much you can do except keep going yourself.
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 12th Jan 18, 5:48 AM
    • 7,840 Posts
    • 72,606 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:48 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:48 AM
    I introduced my husband to comps he enters less and wins more than me
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin