New job - Salary plus 40% shift allowance

Options
Hey guys,

Been offered a job which is a basic salary of £23,500 plus 40% shift allowance. It's a shift work pattern type rota with it being 2 on, 2 off so obviously working the odd weekends plus nights, hence the shift allowance. When interviewed, the guys said the wage is roughly £33,000 to £38,000 once shift allowance is added on. I really don't get this shift allowance stuff in regards to how it's calculated and why they can't give me an exact figure? Can someone with a bit more knowledge give me roughly what my Salary will be from the figures I have given?

Comments

• jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I would guess that night shifts and weekend shifts attract a higher allowance so it depends on exactly how many of these shifts you actually work.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might also find you don't get the shift allowance when on holiday, sick, etc. You need to find out exactly how your wage would be calculated before you can come up with any sensible figures.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • About-time
    About-time Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:20AM
    Options
    There's two ways of doing it with shift allowance. I work shifts and get paid 25% shift allowance. All that happens is you take my yearly salary, and add 25% to it to get the total. This is regardless of the fact that some months I work lots of weekends/nights etc., and other months my shifts are much more 'friendly'.

The other way is that every month you get paid shift allowance based specifically on the shifts you worked in the previous month, which may vary depending on the demands of the rota. There may be months where you work lots of weekends and bank holidays, or do nothing but night shifts, for example, which would attract your full 40% shift allowance. There may be other months where you're mainly working day shifts during the week, so wouldn't get any shift allowance, or very little.

The question you need to ask is : is it the former or the latter? If the former, just add 40% to the salary they quoted you and enjoy. If the latter, have a look at how the rota works and try and work out when you'll have good months and bad months. As a rule, it's night shifts, weekends and bank holidays that attract shift allowance (also maybe to an extent starting early in the morning/finishing late at night too)
  • nasescoba1985
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yes I thought it was a bit strange when he gave me a figure of 33,000-39,000 so clearly the pay could fluctuate depending on shifts. Either way I'm happy because it's decent 40% shift allowance but I just wanted to get a better understanding. I have left a message with the HR asking this question to see if it's 40% of my salary or 40% of unsociable hours worked that month so they should get back to me Monday. Thanks guys.
  • nasescoba1985
    Options
    Sorry guys, if it is the latter and it's 40% of unsociable hours worked during the month rather than 40% of my actual salary, how would you go about working this out? Do you just add all the unsociable hours you did that month and add 40% to it?
  • About-time
    Options
    Not sure sorry, as I've personally never worked with that arrangement (I know many do though).

I imagine you would submit a timesheet and payroll would work it out for you. You'll get a pro-rata shift allowance each month dependent on what you've worked. Essentially it will be a maximum of 40% extra, but could probably be anything from 0% up to 40% depending on your shifts.

You'd probably initially have to work out what your basic would be (I.E no shift allowance at all) and budget for that, bearing in mind that you would always at least be paid a little more, and often a lot more, on top.

As you go along, you'd get a feel for what to expect based on the shifts you had worked. But I'm not sure you could sit and work it out in advance.
  • About-time
    Options
    Out of interest - what kind of job is it to attract a 40% shift allowance? Not sure I've ever seen one advertised?
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new contract that some of my colleages work states thay get 15% nightshift premium plus 50% saturday premium and 100% Sunday premium. For those that work across the weekend, IE Thurs to Monday, that equates to a 45% overall premium. My point being that the 40% may be made up of several different figures added together.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    About-time wrote: »
    Out of interest - what kind of job is it to attract a 40% shift allowance? Not sure I've ever seen one advertised?

I used to work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off, and the shift allowance was 40%.

What sort of job attracts this? Any job could if it includes this type of shift, or similar 2 on 2 off patterns. Some employers only pay 30% though, 40% is good.

In answer to the OP's question - it will be calculated on your basic. So basic plus 40%, whatever that is. I don't have a calculator to hand, but if the basic was £20k, then it would be £28k etc. Hope that makes sense.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    About-time wrote: »

NHS(UKs biggest employer?) have various unsocial allowances upto 100%(double time).

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/agenda-for-change/nhs-terms-and-conditions-of-service-handbook/unsocial-hours-payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure