Charged one week after asda collection. Advice please

Morning everyone. I'm not sure what to do so would like some advice.
I ordered online to click and collect via asda, went through checkout with my card details, and order was placed on Tuesday of last week (5th dec)..... item was collected by myself on Friday last week (7th dec).
As I've bought other items with my wages for Christmas I've now only got a little left in my bank.
I checked my bank this Morning, and the item I thought I'd paid for on the day I ordered with asda has come out today, Nearly a week after I have collected it! The issue is that now I'm overdrawn, and will get charges as I don't get paid till next Friday!
When I ordered the item, I thought it would be taken out straight away? Is that correct?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Beckyp81 wrote: »
    I ordered online to click and collect via asda, went through checkout with my card details, and order was placed on Tuesday of last week (5th dec)..... item was collected by myself on Friday last week (7th dec).
    As I've bought other items with my wages for Christmas I've now only got a little left in my bank.
    I checked my bank this Morning, and the item I thought I'd paid for on the day I ordered with asda has come out today, Nearly a week after I have collected it! The issue is that now I'm overdrawn, and will get charges as I don't get paid till next Friday!
    When I ordered the item, I thought it would be taken out straight away? Is that correct?

My food shopping is delivered on a Thursday and comes out of my card the follow Tuesday/Wednesday so yes its normal. (although it shows as pending earlier)

I dont mean to sound mean but Its down to you I am afraid to check your bank, did you not notice last week that you had more money than you thought you had because you hadn't paid for it at that point.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If it had been taken out straightaway you would still be overdrawn unless you had made a credit to the bank account.

Dont blame ASDA.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • I've phoned lloyds and it came out straight away, and was put back in on Saturday! I do check my bank account but my partner has been transferring money into my bank over the last week helping with Christmas.
    I've phoned asda too, and they said on Tuesday there was a processing issue and alot of orders will be coming out today, not just mine. They have admitted it's there fault as it should of came out and stayed out when I ordered online!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But the money was still spent, whether it showed on your account as debited or not so i don't see what your issue is ? You've overspent which isn't Asdas fault really.
  • How do I remove this post please?
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Whilst Asda have had a processing glitch, it still isn't their fault you are overdrawn. You should really know exactly where you are, especially if you are running your account close to nil.

If your partner makes another transfer today for you, you may even escape Bank charges.

Also if this is a one-off and a reasonably modest amount you could appeal to the Bank for a refund of any charges on a goodwill basis but not because its someone else's fault.
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 3:49AM

I understand your frustration with this - it's normal practice now when paying by debit card that the money is withdrawn so its reasonable to expect the balance in your account to be available to you. With this unfortunate glitch with Asda you've made a mistake and overspent which you may not have done if the money didn't show as available.

Maybe if you let Asda know that you the mistake in their payment system led you to make a mistake also they may apologise however it won't undo the overdraft charges

HTH
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ASDA cancelled my delivery on the day it was due owing to a "technical issue" last week. Only later did I discover that it had reserved the cost of the order as well as the same again when I reordered for delivery the following day. The pending amount for the cancelled order remained on my bank account for a week before expiring. Fortunately I had sufficient balance to cover this. I wonder if this "technical issue" was related to the one which caused the OP's problem.

ASDA awarded me a £15 eVoucher without any prompting from me for failing make the original delivery.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So it's Asdas fault you can't keep track of your spending, sue them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've phoned lloyds and it came out straight away, and was put back in on Saturday! I do check my bank account but my partner has been transferring money into my bank over the last week helping with Christmas.
    I've phoned asda too, and they said on Tuesday there was a processing issue and alot of orders will be coming out today, not just mine. They have admitted it's there fault as it should of came out and stayed out when I ordered online!

I seriously doubt it was taken out and put back in. Sounds like it was authorised (by your bank) and when not taken (by ASDA) this authorisation dropped off.

If you need to even out these type of things, get a credit card or even a separate account for purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure