Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sazkaz79
    • By sazkaz79 7th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sazkaz79
    Halifax have refunded my interest out of the blue!
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    Halifax have refunded my interest out of the blue! 7th Dec 17 at 4:09 PM
    Hey all,

Iíve had a DMP with Step Change for 4 years now and overall itís been a positive experience- with the exception of Halifax!

I had a credit card with them and they were unwilling to accept my DMP, they kept piling on the interest and Iíd get weekly (sometimes daily) obnoxious phone calls to bully/harass more money out of me. It was extremely stressful! My mother overheard one of these calls and lent me £1500 just to get them to stop calling me. Which they did, but they kept charging me interest.

Out of the blue, Iíve had an apology letter from ďNick Shaw Senior Operations Manager, Customer Service Solution CentreĒ, stating that theyíre sorry that they hadnít taken my circumstances into account when I had my credit card with them. Theyíve refunded 10 x monthsí interest, plus 8% interest (less 20% income tax) - £288.72 in total.

Iím going to challenge it because I feel the phone calls created more stress to an already horrendous time for me Ė unfortunately most people donít have the luxury of having someone to lend them money to keep the wolves from the door. Also, Halifax are only refunding part of the interest rather than the entire time Iíve been paying them via a DMP. I shall also be advising the Financial Ombudsman of this if I don't get any joy with Halifax.

For me itís not necessarily about the money Ė itís getting them to be accountable for their greedy, merciless behaviour towards their more vulnerable customers. My other creditors have been really helpful Ė my experience with Halifax was awful.

So, if you are/were a Halifax customer with a DMP or in financial difficulties and you feel they treated you unfairly Ė look out for this letter and challenge them on it.

Sarah
    Last edited by sazkaz79; 07-12-2017 at 4:12 PM.
Page 1
    • ThisIsMe
    • By ThisIsMe 7th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ThisIsMe
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    I think I'm missing something here. So please forgive me. You didn't make a complaint or anything. But have been sent just under £300 'Out of the blue'.

But instead of being happy & grateful, you are going to "challenge" it because you want more?

I'm not fan of the banks, and HBOS is one of the worse. But i feel you are being ungrateful here, sorry, just my point of view.
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 7th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    I am going to agree with you ThisisMe.

I am sure the fact that £1500 suddenly appeared made them feel you were not that vulnerable - regardless of where it came from. Without prompting they have sent you some interest back. Be grateful for that and not so greedy.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2017

Aiming to make £4,500 online in 2017.
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    fiisch
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    You weren't paying your bills, and you think it was unreasonable the bank was calling to ask for their money?!?!

I'm all for sticking it to the banks when it's due, but I think you need to look a little closer to home for the cause of your stress...
    • sazkaz79
    • By sazkaz79 8th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sazkaz79
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    I was paying my bills - I have never missed a payment with anyone. Hence one of the reasons why I am angry that 'some' (not all) banks are bullying vulnerable people despite them paying their bills.

You don't know my personal situation and why I ended up here so less of the judgemental comments. I thought this was meant to be a support forum.

And to reiterate, this isn't about the money - it's about the banks being accountable for exploiting customers when they are struggling.

Yes - it is odd that they're doing this out of the blue. I posted this partly in case anyone knew if Halifax were being investigated or fined for their behaviour towards customers who had been struggling.

Also, I posted this to help others because I wanted to make others aware that they may also be due some money back.

Feel free to attack me but whilst you do, remember you don't actually know anything my situation. Please also bear in mind that I posted this to help other people who may feel that have been treated unfairly.
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 8th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    fiisch
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    A Debt Management Plan would suggest you weren't paying your bills.....

I can't speak for other posters, but I was giving you a dose of hard reality to save you unnecessary stress from going down a path that will inevitably cause more stress. If you want cuddles and mollycoddling, may be try Netmums?

Be glad of the interest refund, get your debts paid and run - don't deal with HBOS again if you don't want to.

Halifax is the only bank account I have consistently held for 7 years, and have had mortgages, credit cards and loans with them, and they have never been less than excellent - the best bank I have dealt with by a country mile.
    • the storm fisherman
    • By the storm fisherman 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    the storm fisherman
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    i think there will be many more on here that will be receiving interest refunds over next few weeks-months as per my thread. i received one from Lloyds and just this morning received one from first direct. Enjoy the windfall, as it was them(banks) that did not follow their code of conduct causing the extra unneeded stress at the time.
    debt free as of 1/10/2014 and loving it
    All done using YNAB and Bank tree.
    • sazkaz79
    • By sazkaz79 8th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sazkaz79
    • 8th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    Thanks Storm. It’s good to get a helpful reply.

And I’m happy to hear that other banks are taking accountability
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,884Posts Today

6,497Users online

Martin's Twitter