Self build advice / finance advice

Hi

I’m considering selling my house and buying an old barn with planning permission. The barn is uninhabitable as there are no utilities etc. and so I guess a self build mortgage will be required.

I’m currently with Metro and so there will be an early redemption fee as I’m pretty sure my existing mortgage is not portable to this barn (yet to call them).

I’ve googled self build mortgages but have yet to make contact with any lenders or brokers. Before I do has anybody got any advice please or recommend a lender/broker?

Thank you

Comments

• Bike369
    Bike369 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Been reading a few other threads,, so now understand I can't receive any recommendations/ in line with MSE t&c's and also what might be good for someone may not be for me... anyway that said, any advice on the self build front please?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You will need, detailed planning permission, coatings and a schedule of works.

Metro won’t lend so you will pay their fee.

You will borrow to purchase, then can borrow for the development with stage payments. You can borrow against the finished value but expect to have a good amount of cash to put in yourself.

You need a Broker with experience of self build, most have never done a case.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure