Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theoallen
    • By theoallen 3rd Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    theoallen
    Should I be concerned that my eye prescription has changed so much in 3 years?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    Should I be concerned that my eye prescription has changed so much in 3 years? 3rd Dec 17 at 2:30 PM
    In February 2015 i went to the opticians and was prescribed glasses. My prescription was:

Right - SPH +0.75, CYL -0.25, AXIS 90

Left - SPH +1.00, CYL -0.75, AXIS 100

I recently went to the opticians and it seems to have changed enormously:

Right - SPH +3.50, CYL -1.00, AXIS 90

Left - SPH +3.00, CYL -1.00, AXIS 90

Is this something that I should be concerned about? It seems a pretty big change in 3 years?
    For reference, I am 23 now so was 20 at my last eye test.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 3rd Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 38,764 Thanks
    elsien
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    What did your optician say when you asked them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:36 PM
    I have never needed glasses so the figures do not really mean much to me.

Diet can play a big part and so can regularly changing focus to exercise the eyes. Collagen is important to the body and to the eyes and vitamin c is essential for it's formation. Smoking reduces vit c levels which is why smokers skin ages faster. There are a few different forms of collagen in the body used for different purposes. Collagen is formed from amino acids, with glycine being required most, with proline, lysine and others in smaller amounts. Lysine is an essential amino acid but glycine and proline can be made by the body but this can be insufficient. Bone broth soup or maybe gelatin provides these amino acids. These amino acid powders can be purchased but be aware that Glycine influences GABA levels which can promote sleep unless other stimulating amino acids are consumed. High protein foods can promote sleep too for a similar reason.

http://heatherdane.com/how-i-improved-my-eyesight/

Anthocyanidins/Proanthocyanidins can also be helpful as they strengthen collagen and bones and are also antioxidants. They can also help the circulatory system
    [EDIT]
    Anthocyanidins are present in many foods to some degree as they provide natural colour to fruit and veg. They are more highly concentrated in black/blue/red berries such as cherries, blueberries, blackberries, elderberries or hawthorn berries etc.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/13238

These all work together, the more you take the bigger the improvement.
    Last edited by A.Penny.Saved; 03-12-2017 at 7:31 PM.
    • tidus
    • By tidus 5th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    tidus
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    It's a relatively big change. Assuming it's correct (have you changed your glasses yet?) the new prescription should work a lot better especially for near, but may take some getting used to.

We do see this sometimes in young people. Long sight can be masked or overcome by the eye's focussing system. During an eye examination we try to get this system to relax but it remains active in some young people, so the older prescription might be too weak - in other words you may have always had a prescription that high. It's just revealing itself as your focussing system weakens as you age.

So no, it's probably nothing to worry about.

The previous answer is bull**it, by the way. I'm an Optometrist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin