BMI hospitals - poor consultant

not so long ago I wrote a thread on a consultants terrible attitude

I got some very good responses,

I also got an apology from the chief exec at the private hospital(s). This is a large well known UK private medical hospital company

I am pleased from the apology I got from the chief exec, and I was told a thorough investigation would take place

now after many days beyond their own promised date of delivering this investigation, all I get is a single page A4 reply from the local director at the hospital in question saying that because the consultant is self employed whilst providing consultancy services at their premises they are washing their hands of the matter

basically the consultant in question failed to diagnose a worsening health condition (potentially life threatening). Although my own GP had written to him explaining what was wrong with me ( and he turned out to be correct), the consultant chose to ignore this letter from my GP

has anyone else had similar situation where you went to see private consultant at private hospital, received poor service, and you complained

what other authorities did you use, go to, to get advice, take action
?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    At the end of the day, what action do you want? You went to the consultant for an opinion, which you now disagree with. To take the further you will have to show that his opinion was so wrong that it was negligent - which is going to be difficult, time-consuming and expensive.

For your own peace of mind, I'd put this behind you, whilst making a mental note to ensure none of your friends and acquaintances visit him.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    As pmduk has said the first thing to do is work out what it is you want to achieve.

With any self employed health contractor the first thing to do is to make a complaint , in writing , to the person themselves. They should reply within a reasonable amount of time ie a couple of weeks.

If you are not happy with their reply then the next step is to escalate to independent complaints adjudication or financial ombudsman the links are here https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-your-private-healthcare-provision

The health ombudsman does not deal with private healthcare.

The GMC cannot order financial recompense and is really for very serious complaints which may result in a doctor being struck off.

If you used private medical insurance you can also raise a complaint via them.
  • thanks brook2jack for those useful links,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport