Is this ethical?.

Options
A co-worker has been told their services are no longer required.

The company owner then gathered the rest of the department together and informed them that the person had been let go and went into detail as to why.

Is this ethical?.
Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How else would you know? Wouldn't you wonder where they were?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 10:16PM
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    A co-worker has been told their services are no longer required.

The company owner then gathered the rest of the department together and informed them that the person had been let go and went into detail as to why.

Is this ethical?.

Crikey, that's a brave question to ask on this board! What sort of replies might one foresee...?

- Not in a recognised union? Deserved all they got.
    - What's legal is what matters.
    - None of your business.
    - I'm affronted by your thought that it is your business.

Edit: ah, with apologies to 74jax! 'How else would you know? Wouldn't you wonder where they were?' is clearly canonical too.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ethical means relating to beliefs about right and wrong. So, since different people believe different things, the answer is "yes", "no" or "maybe".
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People come and go all the time in the workplace. It's a factory.

The point is, was any Law Brocken when the owner gathered the rest of the team together and told them the exact reasons as to why the person had been fired.

There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• steampowered
    Options
    I would see it as unprofessional.

I'm not sure it would be unethical though. So long as the reasons given were true and factual.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    At once place I worked a senior manager disappeared from the company overnight. Everybody wondered what the hell had happened so the MD explained that there had been a difference of opinion regarding the quality of the job the departed manager had been doing. It was left to staff to interpret that as they might.
    Should there have been any conversation on the subject? Probably not but, by giving a vague explanation, it ceased to be a topic of much interest.
    In response to the OP, I don't think a detailed explanation should have been given unless it was directly relevant to the way other people are working. If the explanation was intended as a subtle warning to other it may be justified.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    People come and go all the time in the workplace. It's a factory.

The point is, was any Law Brocken when the owner gathered the rest of the team together and told them the exact reasons as to why the person had been fired. No.

There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.Which law?
    You asked about ethics. Ethics have very little to do with law.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.

So what had the person done ? Was the message given a warning to others re the consequences of said action ?

Irrespective as long as it was factually correct then it's not illegal and, as for ethical, that's always subjective
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    i see no problem.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Employers should definitely inform staff when an employee has left the business, otherwise you end up emailing people who no longer work there!

As to explaining why they left, it totally depends on the situation, if all the staff are talking about it, it could be reasonable to explain to stop rumors and speculation flying around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure