Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patman99
    • By patman99 30th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8,118Posts
    • 9,540Thanks
    patman99
    Is this ethical?.
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    Is this ethical?. 30th Nov 17 at 8:54 PM
    A co-worker has been told their services are no longer required.

The company owner then gathered the rest of the department together and informed them that the person had been let go and went into detail as to why.

Is this ethical?.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
Page 1
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 30th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    74jax
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    How else would you know? Wouldn't you wonder where they were?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 30th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    hyubh
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    A co-worker has been told their services are no longer required.

The company owner then gathered the rest of the department together and informed them that the person had been let go and went into detail as to why.

Is this ethical?.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Crikey, that's a brave question to ask on this board! What sort of replies might one foresee...?

- Not in a recognised union? Deserved all they got.
    - What's legal is what matters.
    - None of your business.
    - I'm affronted by your thought that it is your business.

Edit: ah, with apologies to 74jax! 'How else would you know? Wouldn't you wonder where they were?' is clearly canonical too.
    Last edited by hyubh; 30-11-2017 at 9:16 PM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 30th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    Ethical means relating to beliefs about right and wrong. So, since different people believe different things, the answer is "yes", "no" or "maybe".
    • patman99
    • By patman99 30th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,540 Thanks
    patman99
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    People come and go all the time in the workplace. It's a factory.

The point is, was any Law Brocken when the owner gathered the rest of the team together and told them the exact reasons as to why the person had been fired.

There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 30th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    I would see it as unprofessional.

I'm not sure it would be unethical though. So long as the reasons given were true and factual.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 30th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    At once place I worked a senior manager disappeared from the company overnight. Everybody wondered what the hell had happened so the MD explained that there had been a difference of opinion regarding the quality of the job the departed manager had been doing. It was left to staff to interpret that as they might.
    Should there have been any conversation on the subject? Probably not but, by giving a vague explanation, it ceased to be a topic of much interest.
    In response to the OP, I don't think a detailed explanation should have been given unless it was directly relevant to the way other people are working. If the explanation was intended as a subtle warning to other it may be justified.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 30th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    People come and go all the time in the workplace. It's a factory.

The point is, was any Law Brocken when the owner gathered the rest of the team together and told them the exact reasons as to why the person had been fired. No.

There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.Which law?
    You asked about ethics. Ethics have very little to do with law.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 30th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    There is surely a breach of confidentiality after all. There have been several dismissals recently and this is the only one this has happened with.
    So what had the person done ? Was the message given a warning to others re the consequences of said action ?

Irrespective as long as it was factually correct then it's not illegal and, as for ethical, that's always subjective
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 30th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    i see no problem.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 1st Dec 17, 12:07 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    Employers should definitely inform staff when an employee has left the business, otherwise you end up emailing people who no longer work there!

As to explaining why they left, it totally depends on the situation, if all the staff are talking about it, it could be reasonable to explain to stop rumors and speculation flying around.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 1st Dec 17, 12:19 AM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 6,172 Thanks
    theoretica
    Was the business sharing business information? Eg didn't meet targets, poor attendance. Or was it personal information about the worker, eg illness or work affected by family situation?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 1st Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    Comms69
    What was the reason? That will help tell you if a law was, possibly, broken
    • stator
    • By stator 1st Dec 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 3,889 Thanks
    stator
    You'll have to say what the reason was for anyone to tell whether a law was broken. It's unlikely that one was.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 1st Dec 17, 11:04 AM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    As others have said, knowing what the reason makes a lot of difference. *normally& it isn't appropriate (although probably not illegal) to share the information, but it may be appropriate if (for instance) it relates to misconduct where other members of staff were also under suspicion, where the employer might want to make public that the culprit has been found. Or if they were dismissed because of behaviour to other staff that might be relevant.

In terms of ethics, I think it depends on what the information was which was shared. If it related to someone's personal circumstances (e.g. they were fired for capacity reasons related to their health or family problems) then I would see it as inappropriate.

If however they were fired for misconduct, I don't know that the employer has any ethical obligation to keep that quiet, although it is unusual to go public about these things.

Maybe the employers are worried other people may behave in simialar ways and want to make them aware of the consequences of they do? Or maybe there is just a really bad manager!
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 1st Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    74jax
    Crikey, that's a brave question to ask on this board! What sort of replies might one foresee...?

- Not in a recognised union? Deserved all they got.
    - What's legal is what matters.
    - None of your business.
    - I'm affronted by your thought that it is your business.

Edit: ah, with apologies to 74jax! 'How else would you know? Wouldn't you wonder where they were?' is clearly canonical too.
    Originally posted by hyubh
    Love it
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 1st Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Its hard to say unless you share the reason and what was said. A long time ago a colleague of mine was caught viewing ' adult' material at work. Still can't believe how dumb that was! Anyway it was made quite public, I think as a warning to others.
    Its sometimes better to hear it from the horses mouth than people start chatting, making up rumours and such.
    I suppose the only time it would be unethical is if the person were falsely accused of something or it were something personal they didn't want sharing.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 2nd Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,540 Thanks
    patman99
    It was down to the amount of parts that had been produced wrongly within the area.

There are two machine operators operating two machines. Both make the odd error, but all the mistakes were pinned on the one operator.

• stator
    • By stator 3rd Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 3,889 Thanks
    stator
    I don't think they've done anything wrong in telling people about it.
    Details about work that was completed or faulty is not private data.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin