Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    Hypothetical statute barred question
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    Hypothetical statute barred question 30th Nov 17 at 6:23 PM
    Say you where being billed for a subscription without your knowledge, which is obviously unlikely, would the debt ever become statute barred if they were billing you every month? If you last paid more than 6 years ago

Sorry for the mad question
Page 1
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    Can anyone help
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 30th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    Hi,

Most simple contract debts are subject to the limitations act, there are some exceptions such as income tax, VAT, and CSA debts.

Usually if six years have passed without written acknowledgement or payment, the debt would be statute barred, however I don’t know for sure if a subscription would fall within that category.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    That’s it, as they may keep charging does the new debt not count as statute barred
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    Thatís it, as they may keep charging does the new debt not count as statute barred
    Originally posted by Chickendinner12
    Your going to have to give us more details.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    I set up an account in 2011 and have been trying to cancel it ever since but they always say they can’t find an account in my name, however if there is an account and they are charging me would I be liable still after 6 years! Especially as they say they can’t locate one, but I’m basically worried that it never got cancelled
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 30th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    I set up an account in 2011 and have been trying to cancel it ever since but they always say they can’t find an account in my name, however if there is an account and they are charging me would I be liable still after 6 years! Especially as they say they can’t locate one, but I’m basically worried that it never got cancelled
    Do you mean they are sending you bills for something, but you arnt paying them ?

• Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    Well I have no idea as I moved house! And when I give them the adress they say no accounts ha
    • Chickendinner12
    • By Chickendinner12 30th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickendinner12
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    Would I have a case if they did though that I had been trying to cancel for years?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 30th Nov 17, 9:15 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,002 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Well I have no idea as I moved house! And when I give them the adress they say no accounts ha
    Then I would leave it at that.

• Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 30th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    How do you pay them each month? Is it by direct debit if so cancel it then they soon will find your account
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin