Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karenl2012
    • By Karenl2012 24th Nov 17, 10:28 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Karenl2012
    Fit note - reasonable things I can do while off sick
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:28 PM
    Fit note - reasonable things I can do while off sick 24th Nov 17 at 10:28 PM
    Hello,

I have been signed off with workplace stress and I am unsure what I am allowed to do while I'm off. I have been signed off for 2 months (I go back the middle of Jan). I have worked at my company for over 8 years and the stress is due to behaviour in the workplace.

Currently I am going for walks, doing food shopping etc in my local area but I have been invited to a few meet ups with friends in the lead up to Christmas which will involve drinking / having dinner.

I would like to go to some of these things as I haven't seen anyone for a few weeks (second week off) and I could do with a laugh but I feel terrified in case I get 'caught'. I have asked a few people and some are saying its not worth risking it and other are saying as its work related stress going out and having fun will be good for me.

There doesn't seem to be any guidelines anywhere and I still get pretty nervy when I'm talking a walk in my local area in case anyone sees me. I feel like I should lock myself away just to be on the safe side.

Another dilemma I have is that a friend from work has asked me to meet her for a drink, I've known her for years but I'm just not sure what would happen if my work found out I met up with her. I feel like a bag of nerves at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice or know where I can get some advice from. I'm in for a pretty quiet Christmas / New Year at this rate!

Thank you
Page 2
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 28th Nov 17, 7:46 PM
    • 17,056 Posts
    • 44,853 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    I had rhe same issues when i was on ESA after losing my job. I was petrified of even leaving the house in case someone i knew saw me. After several sessions with my psychiatrist and cpn they both encouraged me to go out, see people, do stuff and not isolate myself as that was making my mental health worse
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • cook0891
    • By cook0891 29th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    cook0891
    Hi.

I have been off since the start of September with anxiety and depression so can relate with your concerns.

I would advise to keep busy and not just hide away at home. At the same time I wouldn't post any photos etc on social media as these can be seen and taken the wrong way. I met up with my line manager away from the office for a non work meeting, more as friends. It was nice but as we only know each other through work you tend to just discuss work which can then leave you feeling more anxious than before. So as someone else said, try not to talk about work!!!

From my own personal experience and with help from GP, OHU, counselling and family/friends there will come a time when you just know it is right to go back. I know it might sound strange for those who have not dealt with anything like this but the mind is such a powerful thing.

Take your time and do what feels right.

I returned today on phased return and actually getting through the door was the hardest part. Everyone was lovely and was nice to be back. I know it all depends on where you work and who with.

I wish you all the best and hope you are feeling better soon!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,756Posts Today

8,310Users online

Martin's Twitter