🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reasonable Adjustments

Options
Does anybody have any advice on what an employer's obligations are with regards to reasonable adjustments in the workplace?

I was recently successful in applying for a job in a call centre. I have certain health issues which I mentioned briefly at interview and then gave full details of on the health questionnaire I received after being offered the job.

I advised the company that I need a couple of adjustments - namely a raised desk (I'm 6'5") and a larger than standard computer monitor, something which has never been an issue in the past with other employer's.

The company then got back to me and advised that they were unable to accommodate me and have withdrawn their job offer.

I didn't think that what I was asking for was particularly unreasonable - is the company within the law to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - John Lennon
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Comments

• Diamandis
    Options
    Why do you need a larger monitor? This isn't something I've ever had anyone ask for.

Did you discuss with them what parts they couldn't accommodate? It might be worth seeing if Access to Work will cover the costs?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lurkerderp wrote: »
    Does anybody have any advice on what an employer's obligations are with regards to reasonable adjustments in the workplace?

I was recently successful in applying for a job in a call centre. I have certain health issues which I mentioned briefly at interview and then gave full details of on the health questionnaire I received after being offered the job.

I advised the company that I need a couple of adjustments - namely a raised desk (I'm 6'5") and a larger than standard computer monitor, something which has never been an issue in the past with other employer's.

The company then got back to me and advised that they were unable to accommodate me and have withdrawn their job offer.

I didn't think that what I was asking for was particularly unreasonable - is the company within the law to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Unless your height is a Disability a raised desk wouldn’t fall under the Act.
    That aside they are within the Law if they don’t find it reasonable due to cost etc because the law doesn’t force them to make your suggested adjustments. It is down to what is reasonable, they might not feel it falls under the Act or might not be able to afford it which would make it unreasonable.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    They are probably looking at the disruption to themselves in modifying desking when they can easily get somebody else in to do the job with no changes required. You don't say what size monitor you'd require and it may be that desk layout won't take anything bigger than those currently used. Desk height modification would be easy if all the desks are separate, but if they are in linked banks it could cause problems.
    Either or both of those issues could be enough for them to withdraw the offer.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options

Thanks in advance.
    The only one that can judge for this is if you take them to a tribunal.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Thanks in advance.

It depends, but ultimately they can sack you for no reason in first two years.
  • Lurkerderp
    Options
    Just to clarify - my height is due to a genetic condition called Marfan Syndrome which also affects my eyesight, which is why I need a larger monitor. By larger I mean a 19" rather than the standard 16". As far as I am aware Marfan Syndrome is covered by the Equality Act.
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - John Lennon
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to clarify - my height is due to a genetic condition called Marfan Syndrome which also affects my eyesight, which is why I need a larger monitor. By larger I mean a 19" rather than the standard 16". As far as I am aware Marfan Syndrome is covered by the Equality Act.
    It appears to be the case - the problem is, did you tell them that, or just request adjustments?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Diamandis wrote: »
    Why do you need a larger monitor? This isn't something I've ever had anyone ask for.

Did you discuss with them what parts they couldn't accommodate? It might be worth seeing if Access to Work will cover the costs?

I'm not sure of the legality but is being tall a disability when caused by a known genetic issue rather than when caused by genetics as a whole? I'd think not (but that's nto a legal opinion)

my department funded a larger monitor (imac so whole computer) so that I could do everything that anyone else would whilst also video Skyping as I'm deaf. Can't think how Marfans would require a larger monitor though?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have to say that I very much doubt that a tribunal would consider height a disability, regardless of the reason, and the OPs height is not all that uncommon - tall, yes, but not outside a normal range. The eyesight issue may be different - this is something which may indeed result in substantial impact on day to day activities, although the degree to which it affects people with Marfans differs, so it would probably require a medical assessment in the first instance. I don't think the request is unreasonable though. But would one change - the monitor - make a difference? Because if not, then the desire for a higher desk may not be considered reasonable.

There are very few conditions per se that are "covered by the Equality Act". Marfans isn't one of them. The Act instead focuses on impacts of disability - substantial adverse impacts on day to day normal activity. On this basis an argument that being tall is a disability is unlikely to fly.

But what outcome does the OP want here?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate Marfan affects all differently, but my friend, his siblings and parent all have it, all over 6ft to varying degrees and some with worse eyes than the others.

All work at regular desks absolutely fine, and even the one who is technically legally blind and cannot drive manages on an ipad, a normal phone and a standard screen with the text increased in size.

6ft 5 is tall but not 'crazy tall' my brother is 6ft 3, just because hes tall, and he doesnt require any special equipment to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport