Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moosesquirrel
    • By moosesquirrel 7th Nov 17, 10:17 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 61Thanks
    moosesquirrel
    No Ifs, Ands, or Buts!
    • 7th Nov 17, 10:17 AM
    No Ifs, Ands, or Buts! 7th Nov 17 at 10:17 AM
    Hello
    New here, but not new to this debt that I am carrying around. I don't even know how much my debt is, but suspect around £25k.

A little background, I work part-time in a school. My husband doesn't work due to health problems but hopes to be able to return to some kind of work once he's had an operation. We own a bedsit that we rent out. My eldest son is at University but still living at home. My youngest daughter is at college, still living at home also. We have a dog.

I have two credit cards with debt on them. Between me and DH we have four bank accounts. A bank account for the rentals and associated costs. A bank account for the bills. A bank account we no longer use but with an overdraft on it that needs to be paid back and a bank account debts and spends.

I have a box full of bills and stuff going back 6 months that I haven't even looked at. We just stuff our bills in there and only panic if we get overdue letters or messages from our bank saying they have bounced some DDs.

We have no money for Christmas, unless we pay on the credit cards which are almost at their limits. We have holidays booked and partly paid for next year. We have endless, and I mean month after month of commitments next year, for days or weekends away which we have partly paid for but not completely paid for. Agggh!

DH has just contacted me today, because he needs two new pairs of glasses. Totally £200. He doesn't have the money to buy them and neither do I. We are well and truly stuffed and need to pull ourselves together, pull our heads out of the sand and sort this. No ifs, no ands, no buts!

I've started this thread so that I make sure I deal with this head on. Our finances are a mess and we need to sort them. Can't continue this way.

I have to go to work now. But I'm going to sort through that blasted box tonight and try to put together some sort of income/expenditure thing for here.

Thank you for listening.
Page 3
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 23rd Nov 17, 3:20 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Well done You! Sounds as though that 'lightbulb' is shining quite brightly at the moment.... and by the time Mays here you'll be so pleased at how well you're doing that you'll be extra pleased that you didn't go.
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• moosesquirrel
    • By moosesquirrel 23rd Nov 17, 6:56 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    moosesquirrel
    Thank you Chrystal. I'm feeling quite proud of myself at the moment. Can't wait for the end of the month to see if any of the debt has reduced. Can't wait to clear those receipts from the drawer and check my balances. Who is this person who's replaced the one going around pretending everything's fine and that if I don't know about the debt then it's not happening?

Oh btw, DH has all the forms through from ESA. It doesn't look like we will get it because the questions are asking things like can you carry an empty cardboard box or can you dress yourself. All questions he has to answer yes to and nothing seems relevant to problems he is having. He is feeling very defeatist but I'm trying to get him to fill them in anyway. Still waiting for letter from the doctor too.
    Barclaycard balance £14,084 Balance 1/12/17 £14,106,
    MBNA balance £6492.18 Balance 1/12/17 £6466.46
    Nationwide Overdraft balance £750 balance 1/12/17 £706
    Nationwide Overdraft 2 balance £1450 Balance 1/12/17 £1450
    Barclays Overdraft balance £2500 balance 1/12/17 £2333.31
    Savings balance £75, balance 1/12/17 £75
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 23rd Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Thank you Chrystal. I'm feeling quite proud of myself at the moment. Can't wait for the end of the month to see if any of the debt has reduced. Can't wait to clear those receipts from the drawer and check my balances. Who is this person who's replaced the one going around pretending everything's fine and that if I don't know about the debt then it's not happening?

Oh btw, DH has all the forms through from ESA. It doesn't look like we will get it because the questions are asking things like can you carry an empty cardboard box or can you dress yourself. All questions he has to answer yes to and nothing seems relevant to problems he is having. He is feeling very defeatist but I'm trying to get him to fill them in anyway. Still waiting for letter from the doctor too.
    Originally posted by moosesquirrel
    This makes me so

I sometimes think they make it as difficult as possible so they can turn you down.... then lots of people don't bother to question it again. IF he gets turned down then immediately appeal it, it has to be looked at again and any money due to him will be backdated to when he first applied for it. DON'T JUST LEAVE IT!

Hope today goes well.

Sending virtual (((hugs))) XXX
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• moosesquirrel
    • By moosesquirrel 7th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    moosesquirrel
    Good morning all! Well it's been a couple of weeks of ups and downs, culminating in balance the books. One account sadly went over the overdraft and I'm mad at myself for allowing it and letting my concentration lapse. Reason for the error, transferred funds between accounts, a day late.

So the good news: finished my Christmas shopping and got most of it from my paypal balance, but some of it from my bank account. Also have been offered some overtime at work which whilst only a couple of hours here and there, every penny counts.

And the bad news: one of my bank accounts went over the overdraft. My dog had to have her annual vaccinations which cost me a fortune along with her regular meds. Work messed up my pay and instead of increasing my hours reduced them on the payroll so I ended up £100 short of my usual salary. They paid me out of petty cash but that means I haven't got the extra little bit I was expecting. The downstairs toilet is broke and we have a plumber in right this moment, to repair before Christmas... dreading the bill.

This really wakes me up to having a contingency fund for emergencies. I need to get something in place to help out next year.

But overall my debt has gone down ever so slightly.

Paypal balance 1/12/17 £10, balance 1/12/17 £10

Total debt £25,201.18 Balance 1/12/17 £24,976.77
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin