Free flu jabs if you are entitled to them-go to a pharmacy rather than your GP clinic

Options
Hi all,

If you are eligible for a free flu jab, go to a pharmacy rather than your GP's clinic. My surgery always invites all patients to get their jab during one of two Saturdays. It is total chaos, People are queuing outside the surgery and have to wait between 1-to-1,5 hrs before they are seen.

For various reasons, I could not attend so I booked an appointment at an ASDA pharmacy. I was in there for less than 10mins. I gave him a reason for my free jab and he did not check anything to confirm.

I probably won't bother with a free jab in my GP's clinic going forward as I was really impressed with ASDA.

Comments

• Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I passed my surgery last week there was a notice on the door asking patients to have the 'flu jab there to ensure funds went back into the NHS...

Seems like the notice appeared elsewhere too
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you qualify its free.

Had mine at Boots this morning.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Savethekipper
    Options
    I had mine done at Gp surgery, in and out withing one minute
  • funguy
    funguy Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most GP surgeries will rely on the income from flu vaccinations to prop up some of their other patient services. As private providers eg chemists start cherry picking the easy things, the funding available for NHS services like GPs reduces and so does the level of services that can be offered.
  • redagila
    redagila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had mine done at Gp surgery, in and out withing one minute

Same at my GPs - it is like a production line with appointments every 3 minutes - very efficient
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    My GP surgery only does them on a Saturday, 10.30 to noon.

My local Boots is open 8am to 8pm 5 days a week plus 8 to 6 Saturday. I can just walk in and get the jab anytime.

I think you know which I prefer.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regardless of GP Surgery or Pharmacy, someone is making money out of the NHS somewhere.
    I am sure your GP will struggle on with their £55k+ salary without their share of the odd flu jab here and there.

The real problem is doctor surgeries don't want to work hours that don't suit them. I would just got to where is most suitable for you. This idea that you are doing the NHS a favour by having it at your surgery is silly.
  • Savethekipper
    Options
    redagila wrote: »
    Same at my GPs - it is like a production line with appointments every 3 minutes - very efficient

Mine wasn't even an appointment, just go in and join queue. My surgery offers them from 7am to 7pm
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Mine wasn't even an appointment, just go in and join queue. My surgery offers them from 7am to 7pm

As you have seen from above replies all surgeries operate differently.

It's just mines useless when it comes to a simple flu jab, so I go to Boots.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 October 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Just checked the BMJ as I do on a weekly basis and found the following article:
    General practice threatens to withhold repeat prescriptions until patients have flu vaccine
    General practices are being warned not to let their push to deliver flu vaccinations this winter spill over into “bad behaviour,” after a practice was reported to healthcare leaders for threatening to withhold repeat prescriptions from patients until they had been vaccinated there.

The unnamed practice was reported to NHS England and Doncaster Clinical Commissioning Group by local pharmacists, who became aware that patients who were eligible for a flu vaccination had been told that they could not receive drugs on repeat prescription until they had had a flu vaccination at the practice. The practice subsequently withdrew the threat after being warned by commissioners over its conduct.
    The committees said that tension between GPs and community pharmacists had risen since the government’s decision to allow pharmacists to administer flu vaccinations to adult patients in risk from September 2015. The policy, designed to increase patients’ choice and uptake of the vaccine, pitched pharmacies in competition with general practices. Both groups are paid £7.64 for each patient they vaccinate.
    In addition to the potential loss of the £7.64 payment, Eggitt said that practices lost money if they had to return unused stock and if pharmacists failed to tell practices which patients they had vaccinated, meaning that GPs could not claim payments under the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) incentive scheme.

Nick Hunter, chief officer of Doncaster Local Pharmaceutical Committee, told The BMJ, “I fully understand that GPs feel threatened by pharmacies doing flu vaccination. But the evidence is that patients like it. This is also a way of relieving some of the pressure on general practice, but the financial flows have to go with where the work is done.”

Hunter said that the two committees and commissioners would shortly be issuing a joint statement to all practices and pharmacies to emphasise the importance of collaboration and to remind them that “bad behaviour” would not be tolerated. “If we can work together, we’ll all do more flu vaccines and we’ll all be better off, and the population will be better off,” said Hunter.

NHS Doncaster CCG confirmed that it had spoken to the practice about its conduct. “The matter has been settled amicably,” a spokesperson said.
    Free thinker.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport