Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    LilacLillie
    Time off work for hospital appointments?
    • 10th Oct 07, 7:14 PM
    Time off work for hospital appointments? 10th Oct 07 at 7:14 PM
    I have checked online with ACAS, DDA and Equality for Human rights, but its evening and I can't find any information that I can print out for this problem.
    Is there anyone who can help point me in the right direction for some advice please?

My DH is a diabetic (3yrs since diagnosis), he has often missed hospital check up's on the basis of having to take time of work as sick or annual leave. Because he 'feel's' ok on his medication, he thinks he isn't doing himself any harm!
    I disagree.
    Last year I registered him with our local authority as 'Disabled'.
    They explained to me that in doing so it is against the law to not allow him time off of work for these appointments.
    I am only talking about 3 appointments this year so far, with hospital letters to verify them.
    He saw his consultant on Monday and his boss wasn't pleased that he had to go because they were busy (he works in management for local council), even though he showed him the letter 2mths ago.
    He has had no time off sick due to his diabetes in the last 2 1/2 yrs and only 5 odd days off for other ailments this year.
    The government has arranged for everyone with diabetes to attend a course of 1 day a week for 4 weeks, to enable them to take more control over their condition.
    My DH took his letter to attend the course (due to start in Nov ) to his boss in May.
    After leaving work 2 hrs earlier on Monday for his appointment, his boss sent him an email today stating that any further time off for his hospital appointments must be taken as sick/AL.
    I know this can't be right, but need to know his rights on the matter.
    He has worked in this job for 14 yrs and doesn't want to now get a bad sickness record.
    Council policy is something like 11 sick days a year before you get pressured into sickness procedures and sent to OH.
    What can we do ??????
    Thanks in advance
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,080Posts Today

6,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On train home from Birmingham. Had dinner by the canal there this evening. Lovely area, very sunny and picturesque.

• Fantastic run by new UK star Zharnell Hughes in @BritAthletics #BritishChamps 200m.I was v proud to present the medal http://t.co/sSSXpM1SBZ

• Ok a wee bit chuffed. Just been asked if I'd like to present a medal at #Britishchamps, someone is now missing a hand as I bit it off!

• Follow Martin