Pension Inheritance

Options
I have both a SIPP and a personal pension. Talking to an IFA recently, he explained that if I set the beneficiaries correctly, then my wife could inherit my pension funds if I die first and that potentially, my children could inherit that same money from her in their turn assuming she did not spend it first. So far so good, this is confirmed by many posts on here.

He implied that I had to word my Statement of Wishes correctly, giving lets say 94% of the fund to my wife and 2% to each of my 3 children so that they were mentioned in my Statement. In some way, this was supposed to then allow my wife after she had inherited the 94% (or maybe the whole 100%?) to modify the percentages to nominate the children as her beneficiaries. He implied that if the children were not mentioned in my Statement, then she could not modify the percentages in their favour later on.

Does this make sense? Is it correct that my statement needs to be carefully worded? Can anybody confirm this or point me to an authoritative source?

The IFA has not followed up so I am not bothered about him and I would like to know more before I contact the pension company help desks.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Suffolk Life, for example, have recently introduced a new Letter of Wishes form to take account of the new pension freedoms. Customers were finding that they had to keep writing more and more complicated letters to take account of ever-changing legislation.
    Now their standard letter says something like "I appoint my wife as my beneficiary and she can do what she likes".
    But you can still adjust the wording to suit your requirements.

You have to remember that it is not binding on the pension trustees - it is a discretionary trust, and they can do what they like. Obviously they try and follow your wishes, but potentially these could be challenged if a potential beneficiary felt agrieved.
    Likewise if you omitted to forsee future developments they can still accommodate that if fair and broadly in accordance with your wishes.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought the pension was inherited by whoever you nominated (subject to Trustee's discretion and oversight) so unlikely to be a problem for a surviving spouse I would have thought.

After that is down to the spouse's wishes surely as it is their asset?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no longer a requirement to state name and percentage by itself anymore. You can give a description of what you want to happen in various scenarios. Not all providers yet support the new style.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure