Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stribe
    • By Stribe 9th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Stribe
    Gifted from Grandparents living abroad.
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    Gifted from Grandparents living abroad. 9th Oct 17 at 5:24 PM
    Hi folks!

So, I was reading through the forum and other websites to get a better insight about being a first-time buyer and was discussing this with my family members whilst abroad. My Grandfather has stated that he is happy to send over 70k as a gift - essentially for the deposit - but he wasn't too sure about the tax implications in the UK ( frankly, neither do I! ). Based on reading a few things, I assume that no Inheritance tax will be applied, since my grandfather does not reside in the UK and is not a British Citizen. He will be writing a letter to confirm that the money is a gift and not a loan. Is this correct?

Also, he wanted to send over a monthly amount of money to my younger family member, who is about to start Uni...Is there a certain threshold on how much he can give on a monthly basis or can he send any amount on a monthly basis?

Cheers.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 55,569 Posts
    • 48,942 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    Which country will the money be originating from?

For large sums a letter will not suffice. The source will need to be evidenced clearly.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Stribe
    • By Stribe 9th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stribe
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    The money will be coming from Kenya.

I guessed a letter wouldn't have been enough, but giving all the required statements wouldn't be an issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin