Acne at 36 :(

Options
So i've had hormonal "chin" acne on and off for a couple of years now. But as I go later into my 30s its just getting worse :(

Nothing topical works so I don't want to keep spending lots of money of lotions and potions.

I am on non hormonal contraception if that makes any difference. We are trying for a baby soon so I am not changing that side of things.

I have given up cows milk, have a relatively healthy diet and exercise most days. I take a zinc and "well women" supplement.

I have recently got married and had a tough couple of months at work but the stress has gone now. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end!!
In debt no more!

Comments

• lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:29PM
    Options
    loubie_lou wrote: »
    So i've had hormonal "chin" acne on and off for a couple of years now. But as I go later into my 30s its just getting worse :(

Nothing topical works so I don't want to keep spending lots of money of lotions and potions.

I am on non hormonal contraception if that makes any difference. We are trying for a baby soon so I am not changing that side of things.

I have given up cows milk, have a relatively healthy diet and exercise most days. I take a zinc and "well women" supplement.

I have recently got married and had a tough couple of months at work but the stress has gone now. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end!!

What kind of topical things have you tried? My son has 'acnecide' on prescription, it is benzole peroxide, but a better strength than some of the branded stuff. I think you can get it over the counter if you ask for it.

Using very gentle things on your face helps too, 'simple' face wash is gentle as is doesnt have many ingredients.

Any moisturiser needs to be 'non-comndonic' ie doesnt block pores. My son, after shaving uses neurtogena visibly clear oil free moisturiser.

If your skin gets oily towards teatime, try using 'oil papers' to blot the oil (primark sell them) as I have found washing too many times can make skin dry, and then it produces even more oil.

I'm assuming you want to avoid trying antibiotics?

remember though, if you do become pregnant, your hormones will change again. Each time I got pregnant I got lovely thick shiny hair and nice skin, so preggy hormones might settle things down, if it is your hormones causing the breakouts :)
  • bunk_bed
    bunk_bed Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Zineryt is good, but only available on prescription. Better, I find, than taking oral antibiotics, which is what most drs will fob you off with if you present with an acne problem.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Are you on any other medication? Some can cause acne. My trigger was an anticonvulsant.

What lotions and potions have you tried? The Ordinary do some excellent products without all the additives that can act as irritants. This stuff is strong but amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure