Stamp duty for sort-of first first-time buyer

Options
Some years ago I bought a buy-to-let in Leeds (I was abroad and not living in the UK)
I have been living in London for 4 years now, paying high rent and unable to afford my own place. But I should have a deposit for something below the 250k threshold by December. However, I realise that I cant be classified as a "first time buyer" but if I dont have a main home or residence, does that count? I have heard that if I sell the buy to let within 3 years, I could be exempt but I am hardly moving out of my home as such.. I would love to sell the Buy to let property but it has lost a lot of its value and I am not sure it would be easy to sell, and I'll likely no profit made at the end.

Comments

• _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    If you keep your BTL flat then you'll be liable for the higher rate of stamp duty when buying your new main property.

As the flat isn't your main home you won't be eligible for a refund if you sold it within three years.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As above. You are not moving home so you will pay the 3% extra
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • scopes
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies

Would it help to get rid of the buy-to-let? Or does it count as a first property indefinitely?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's nothing to do with being a first time buyer, it's how many properties you currently own. So yes, selling your current one will bring you back down to normal SDLT rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure