On the Back of the Mattress thread...

I, too, am in the market for a new mattress. However, I don't want to commit to anything just yet and we also need lots of work doing in the bedroom first so would prefer to hold off.

In the meantime, I have spent most of the past 2 years sleeping on my sofa. Mainly because I don't always sleep well due to pain (Fibro/ME/CFS) and my sofas, when fully reclined are so comfy and I don't wake up in as much pain!

I do want to sleep in my bed though as I miss the closeness with OH. Can anyone recommend anything as a temporary measure..any cushions that might work etc. We do have a memory foam mattress topper but it's old and useless!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if you've tried renewing the mattress topper? If you are looking for a short term solution but don't want a full mattress as yet, I can't see how anything else would be more suitable being that a cushion will always move around easily and is unlikely to be positioned correctly for most of the time.

If you were to look for a mattress protector, there are plenty with various offerings, everything from warmth to support to more softness, it really depends what you want, what your budget is and what your needs are. I have been told I have fibro (I don't believe I do but that's another story) I also get a lot of back pain and hip pain and find that support is what works best for me. If I sleep on anything which is described as anything other than "firm" I pay a price for it in terms of pain for a while after! For that reason I probably would not opt for memory foam being that it's rare I'd find something which felt supportive enough.

Having said that, what works for me may not work for someone else. I just wanted to make the point because it could be a case of the mattress topper not being right for you rather than all mattress toppers being unsuitable.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Not sure if you've tried renewing the mattress topper? If you are looking for a short term solution but don't want a full mattress as yet, I can't see how anything else would be more suitable being that a cushion will always move around easily and is unlikely to be positioned correctly for most of the time.

If you were to look for a mattress protector, there are plenty with various offerings, everything from warmth to support to more softness, it really depends what you want, what your budget is and what your needs are. I have been told I have fibro (I don't believe I do but that's another story) I also get a lot of back pain and hip pain and find that support is what works best for me. If I sleep on anything which is described as anything other than "firm" I pay a price for it in terms of pain for a while after! For that reason I probably would not opt for memory foam being that it's rare I'd find something which felt supportive enough.

Having said that, what works for me may not work for someone else. I just wanted to make the point because it could be a case of the mattress topper not being right for you rather than all mattress toppers being unsuitable.

Thank you for your reply. I suppose I could try a different topper. When we eventually get a new mattress we will be looking for a good quality one and possibly spend up to around £2000 (I know you can get more expensive than that but I think that would be our limit for now). The reason I don't want to buy the new mattress now is because we will be getting the room plastered and also built in wardrobes and I would rather wait so we can avoid the dust etc.

The mattress underneath the topper is really firm and I find that causes more painful pressure points. I occasionally try sleeping in the bed again and every time I have done recently, I have hardly been able to move the day after - and was actually in tears with the pain after one occasion.

The only time I have had a decent nights sleep reception is on holiday- when we stayed in a cottage in the Peak District. For 2 full weeks I slept well. I have asked the owner for details of the mattress!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your reply. I suppose I could try a different topper. When we eventually get a new mattress we will be looking for a good quality one and possibly spend up to around £2000 (I know you can get more expensive than that but I think that would be our limit for now). The reason I don't want to buy the new mattress now is because we will be getting the room plastered and also built in wardrobes and I would rather wait so we can avoid the dust etc.

The mattress underneath the topper is really firm and I find that causes more painful pressure points. I occasionally try sleeping in the bed again and every time I have done recently, I have hardly been able to move the day after - and was actually in tears with the pain after one occasion.

The only time I have had a decent nights sleep reception is on holiday- when we stayed in a cottage in the Peak District. For 2 full weeks I slept well. I have asked the owner for details of the mattress!

Sounds like it's a new mattress you really need! I know you were worried about any dust with all the plastering and etc, and it is a bit of a faff to do this, but do you think that it would be cheaper in the long run to just spend the £2000 on a decent mattress and then make sure it's covered fully before starting any plastering then taking off the covering before you go to sleep? It's just that £2000 is a lot to blow on a mattress topper when I'm sure that could get you a pretty all-bells-and-whilstles (or near enough!) mattress and even some brands (quite a few) that you can try for 100 days then hand back if you don't find it works for you.
  • mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 8:57AM
    Before buying a new bed/mattress I would recommend spending time reading the wealth of information on this website.
    https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/

I ended up buying a new bed from this retailer and they do give advice on the phone. Even if you buy from elsewhere it is worth being knowledgeable on the subject, especially if spending £2000.
    This is exactly the amount I paid and feel it was money well spent.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Neetusingh wrote: »
    If you are suffering from back pain. Then you have to buy a back support mattress of Refresh Mattress. Refresh Mattress provides the best Mattress for back pain In India

Website blocked on my computer site as a phishing site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure