Three Mobile obtained CCJ are they bluffing?

Options
Hello everyone,

First of all Happy Friday and thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and reply to my post.

In 2014 I received a phone call from Bryan Carter Solicitors who were working on behalf of Lowell Finance and Three Mobile. They said that I owed them around £500 for an old contract and they were going to file for a CCJ. I refused to accept that I had taken out this contract and asked them to provide proof. I think they progressed to court as I was sent a link to court website where I had a certain amount of time to accept or refuse the claim. I refused the claim and asked them for proof.

A little time later I received a letter ( I think from Bryan Carter) stating that it would not be taken any further. Basically, I had not been given a CCJ. If I remember correctly.

I thought that would be the end but recently at my new address, I have received 2 letters from Lowell chasing the debt. In their most recent letter, they state "As you are aware, Three Mobile obtained a CCJ against you and the debt remains unsatisfied. Should the debt remain unpaid we'll consider instructing our solicitors to take action to enforce the judgment to recover the money you owe". I have to check my credit file on Credit Expert and Checkmyfile and I have no records of a CCJ.

Does anyone know how I should tackle this? Are they calling my bluff? Could they have a CCJ and it not show on my files? The debt is due to be 6 years old in the next few months but the last thing I want is a CCJ as I'm starting to get my credit file back on track.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liam

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Liam2017 wrote: »
    They said that I owed them around £500 for an old contract and they were going to file for a CCJ. I refused to accept that I had taken out this contract and asked them to provide proof.

Did you owe them around £500?
  • Liam2017
    Options
    I think it was a for a mobile dongle internet stick if I remember correctly. I don't think I ever used it and I think the final bill from Three was £90. The £500 how just grown over the years from debt collection agencies.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I refused to accept that I had taken out this contract and asked them to provide proof.
    I think it was a for a mobile dongle internet stick if I remember correctly.

So you HAD taken out a contract with them?
  • Liam2017
    Options
    It was a while ago. I remember something about a Three Mobile contract but I also remember my mum applying for one at a similar time. That is why I refused to accept that I had taken it out and asked them to provide proof. I genuinely can't be totally sure that I have taken out a contract.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    !!! three and their mobile dongles!!!

my only default has been with three. years ago, when i was upgrading my contract, the sales person in three offered me a free mobile dongle. he said this was pay as you go so they would send me a bill as and when i used it, but they would include the price of the dongle as a free gift due to my being a loyal customer - i had two family members with me at the time as witness to this. i wasn't charged anything and went on my merry way with the dongle.

6 months later, dongle remained unopened in the bottom of a box somewhere as i never took my laptop out with me and i had a generous data allowance. i get a call from three to say i have an outstanding bill on my account for almost £50. i wonder how this is as i pay my direct debit so they just take the money from my account. apparently i have not paid the contract for my mobile dongle. hang on, i think, you mean the dongle that i was supposedly given without contract? that i signed NOTHING for? well apparently this was only free for 3 months and then i was enrolled into a contract i had to cancel. they told me if i didn't pay this then it would go to a debt collection company. so i paid the £50 - which included the cost of the dongle. so much for my loyalty gift...

i go into the store to complain about this, to which they offered zero sympathy but the store person called the customer service line with me to absolutely make sure it was cancelled. confirmed it was, i was sure that this was over and done.

a couple of years later i thought i should pay attention to my credit report so i checked it. to my surprise, i had a default that was marked as lowell. i have zero ideal who lowell are at this point and why i have a default from them. i called them up and after much back and forth due to the fact i didn't have an account number (since i had no contact with them...) they finally confirm the default is from three mobile. for £17.99 which then spiralled in costs to over £100. what was this £17.99 for? a "closing fee" for that b!!!!! mobile dongle. luckily lowell said that they had actually never contacted me about this and somehow they could see that three never sent me a final bill about this closing fee so they removed the default and closed the account.

4 years later and i'm still massively bitter that my free dongle cost me over "50 AND they had the cheek to try and charge me a closing fee! that they then never told me about!!!

so massive rant over. i sympathise with you about three and their stupid dongles.

do try to find the letter. possibly send a prove it letter to them? but if there's no CCJ showing on your credit file i would believe you don't have one.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The court claim number becomes the ccj reference. Do you still have the paperwork from that time? If so, contact the court and ask them. It's probably the county court bulk centre on 0300 123 1056.

If not then ask Lowell for the reference, and then contact the court. You could send a prove-it but it's a specific question you need to ask
  • Liam2017
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I don't have the letter as It was sent to my mum's address who has since moved and misplaced the letter. I will contact them and ask them for the court reference and ask them to prove my debt. thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    he said this was pay as you go so they would send me a bill as and when i used it

You don't get bills for Pay As You Go.

You add credit to the device, then you use it, hence why it's called Pay As You Go.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    You don't get bills for Pay As You Go.

You add credit to the device, then you use it, hence why it's called Pay As You Go.

yes i realise this now. did not realise it as an 18 year old off to uni and didn't think to question it.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family