100 days to go?

I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on a checklist or key things to do in the last 100 days to retirement. What I mean by that is the end of salaried days and taking income from pensions and savings. State pension is a way off .....

I have checked our numbers and budget but no doubt will do this again before handing in notice at work- I have to serve 3 months notice.

Many thanks

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Walk around with a big smile on your face?
    Have a worry-free good night's sleep?
    Book a holiday?
    Start looking around for any new kit you are going to need to do what ever you have planned to spend your retirement doing?

Everything else should have been sorted well before 100 days.

Good luck!
  • ischofie1
    ischofie1 Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If your retirement involves living of savings/DC pot then make sure you open up all the bank/saving accounts before you finish work.
    Financial institutions are poor when considering these as income hence you may be viewed as having no income.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Again with getting at least 2 long term credit cards and bank accounts while you still have good income and employment history.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    When I get there I'll be spending most of my time frantically changing from work email address to gmail!
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ischofie1 wrote: »
    If your retirement involves living of savings/DC pot then make sure you open up all the bank/saving accounts before you finish work.
    Financial institutions are poor when considering these as income hence you may be viewed as having no income.
    Good advice, that will be my focus in the last 100 days. It will be about getting the finances in order for the shift from high income to no income status.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I made a list of all the changes I needed to make to my finances; e.g. Direct Debits and Standing Orders to stop, when to apply for pensions, etc.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,586 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I have around 80 days left before retirement. All I am doing is gradually clearing my office so it is not left until the last week or two. Finances are all in place and I do not intend rushing out and doing anything immediately as I leave just before Christmas.

We will be booking holidays last minute next year for the first time ever as up until now we have had to work around leave dates etc and we will both be retired so no need to do that now. For the moment life goes on as normal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Make sure you have calculated the maximum you can put into your pension this tax year, and get it in before April 5, since this will be your last opportunity for seriously reducing tax.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,586 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Make sure you have calculated the maximum you can put into your pension this tax year, and get it in before April 5, since this will be your last opportunity for seriously reducing tax.

That is a good one. I have already calculated my income for this year and put 100% less pension contributions into my SIPP to take advantage of this. I will be doing the £2880 contribution from next April.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    One final raid on the stationery cupboard?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure