Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fcandmp
    • By fcandmp 2nd Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 21Thanks
    fcandmp
    100 days to go?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    100 days to go? 2nd Oct 17 at 10:04 AM
    I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on a checklist or key things to do in the last 100 days to retirement. What I mean by that is the end of salaried days and taking income from pensions and savings. State pension is a way off .....

I have checked our numbers and budget but no doubt will do this again before handing in notice at work- I have to serve 3 months notice.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 2nd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    Linton
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    Walk around with a big smile on your face?
    Have a worry-free good night's sleep?
    Book a holiday?
    Start looking around for any new kit you are going to need to do what ever you have planned to spend your retirement doing?

Everything else should have been sorted well before 100 days.

Good luck!
    • ischofie1
    • By ischofie1 2nd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    ischofie1
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    If your retirement involves living of savings/DC pot then make sure you open up all the bank/saving accounts before you finish work.
    Financial institutions are poor when considering these as income hence you may be viewed as having no income.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 2nd Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    Again with getting at least 2 long term credit cards and bank accounts while you still have good income and employment history.
    • Triumph13
    • By Triumph13 2nd Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    Triumph13
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    When I get there I'll be spending most of my time frantically changing from work email address to gmail!
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 2nd Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    OldMusicGuy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    If your retirement involves living of savings/DC pot then make sure you open up all the bank/saving accounts before you finish work.
    Financial institutions are poor when considering these as income hence you may be viewed as having no income.
    Originally posted by ischofie1
    Good advice, that will be my focus in the last 100 days. It will be about getting the finances in order for the shift from high income to no income status.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 2nd Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    I made a list of all the changes I needed to make to my finances; e.g. Direct Debits and Standing Orders to stop, when to apply for pensions, etc.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    I have around 80 days left before retirement. All I am doing is gradually clearing my office so it is not left until the last week or two. Finances are all in place and I do not intend rushing out and doing anything immediately as I leave just before Christmas.

We will be booking holidays last minute next year for the first time ever as up until now we have had to work around leave dates etc and we will both be retired so no need to do that now. For the moment life goes on as normal.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 2nd Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 7,385 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    Make sure you have calculated the maximum you can put into your pension this tax year, and get it in before April 5, since this will be your last opportunity for seriously reducing tax.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Make sure you have calculated the maximum you can put into your pension this tax year, and get it in before April 5, since this will be your last opportunity for seriously reducing tax.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    That is a good one. I have already calculated my income for this year and put 100% less pension contributions into my SIPP to take advantage of this. I will be doing the £2880 contribution from next April.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 2nd Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    Snakey
    One final raid on the stationery cupboard?
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 2nd Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    coyrls
    Originally posted by ischofie1
    That hasn't been my experience. I'm living off savings / DC pot and have opened a TSB and two Tesco current accounts since I retired. I put my occupation as retired and my income as roughly what I'm transferring annually into my "active" current account.

The biggest problem I’ve had was acting as a guarantor for my student son's rental. The company doing the vetting couldn't deal with the way that I give myself an "income" and I ended up having to (reluctantly) supply 12 months of bank statements and then talk them through the transfers in that were my "income".
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 2nd Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    mollycat
    98 working days to go

Doing most of the sensible suggestions already mentioned in the thread.

Planning a bonfire in the garden with all my work clothes the day after I go!!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 5th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Alexland
    Keep a good suit for weddings and funerals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,126Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin