Debt relief order

Options
Hi, I have spoken to my local CAB and we have been discussing a debt relief order.

I am unable to talk to them today but was wondering if anyone could help with some more info.

I have been a director for my husbands limited company, how would this affect the DRO? I do not draw a wage or dividends, not sure why I am a director, lol.

I just don't know what to do. I have about £7000 worth of debt, credit cards and overdrafts, I am just paying the minimum payment each month but now I am not working I am struggling. (Previously worked for the Royal Mail but gave it up due to my disabled son and his needs)

Thanks in advance, I'm so depressed I don't know what to do. I don't want to affect the company in anyway, I just don't know where to turn

Comments

• heidiprincess13
    Options
    I'm just unsure what they take into account for earnings etc. I receive carers allowance and tax credits.

Any help or info is very much appreciated.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

When you apply for a DRO you will initially be assess using a SOA. In order to qualify you need to have less than £50 per month for your debts, less than £20k of debt in total, and assets worth less than £1k (plus you are allowed a car worth up to £1k). They will consider most incomes, such as carers allowance and tax credits but a child's DLA should be disregarded.

When you enter into a DRO you will have some restrictions placed on you during your 12 month moratorium. One of those restrictions is that you are unable to be the director of a limited company, so you would need to resign this position. Your husband would then need further advice about the implications this may have on his business.

We have a factsheet about DRO's that may help you - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/debtrelieforders/droadvice.aspx

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • heidiprincess13
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, what type of implications would this cause the company? I'm just not sure what to do for the best. I don't do anything for the company, I am just down as I director.

When you apply for a DRO you will initially be assess using a SOA. In order to qualify you need to have less than £50 per month for your debts, less than £20k of debt in total, and assets worth less than £1k (plus you are allowed a car worth up to £1k). They will consider most incomes, such as carers allowance and tax credits but a child's DLA should be disregarded.

When you enter into a DRO you will have some restrictions placed on you during your 12 month moratorium. One of those restrictions is that you are unable to be the director of a limited company, so you would need to resign this position. Your husband would then need further advice about the implications this may have on his business.

We have a factsheet about DRO's that may help you - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/debtrelieforders/droadvice.aspx

Laura
    @natdebtline[/QUOTE]
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You simply resign, thats it, you cant be the director of a LTD company if your in a DRO, or any other insolvency solution, it wont have any other impact on anything, so just resign.

The £50 limit on money left at months end is the most important thing you need to worry about, your budget must show a balance of less than £50 left over after all bills are paid, not including credit payments.

If it dosent, your DRO wont be accepted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • heidiprincess13
    Options
    Could I pm you later for some advice? If that's ok? This is making me so ill with worry and stress.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Could I pm you later for some advice? If that's ok? This is making me so ill with worry and stress.

Me ? yes of course.

It really is pretty straightforward.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • heidiprincess13
    Options
    I will do later sourceates. I'm just so sick with worry. Thank you so much
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to? You should be able to get carers allowance which whilst not a lot is £200 odd a week. Also contact HMRC tax credits. Notify them of a change of income if you're claiming and make sure you're getting the disability component of child tax credit, that's another £2500 a year or so. If you weren't claiming put a claim in. Even though you may have been excluded before for WTC/CTC, the disability component may mean that any reduction because of income still leaves you entitled to something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure