Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Regency1
    • By Regency1 15th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Regency1
    Loan? What loan?
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    Loan? What loan? 15th Sep 17 at 3:56 PM
    Hi anyone reading,

I feel like a bit of a fraudster writing a diary on here as I don't have a huge amount of debt. On the other hand I have a new debt and I would like to get rid of it ASAP, especially as DH and I are thinking of trying to start a family very soon.

I have a good job, as does DH, and we don't want for anything. We have a mortgage, which neither of us really considers as an urgent debt, and comfortably cover our bills and other payments. DH has had a couple of inheritance payments which mean that he is very comfortable and I know that if anything went wrong for me he would help me out. But I don't really like the thought of being dependent and I know that on the wage I am on I should have way more savings and way less c**p in the house to show for it.

My new debt takes the place of a car that I bought a couple of months ago. I borrowed £5000 from DH and took out a £7000 loan at a pretty low interest rate over 3 years. I have a Sharesave account through work which matures in December and if the share price stays the same as it is now then that should cover the amount I owe DH. Leaving me with £7000 to pay off. I think because it was planned I don't really think of myself as being in debt. Which is really stupid because I am!

I have been a long-time lurker on the MSE pages and love reading other people's diaries. I love the sense of community that people have here. So I thought I would give this a shot, and use the diary as a way to be accountable for my spending and see if I can get this loan done and dusted way ahead of schedule.

Thanks for reading!
Page 1
    • Regency1
    • By Regency1 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Regency1
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    Today I had a list of things to do in town and I think I managed to get most things done. I live in a wee village and only get into town at the weekend . Unfortunately that also means that I spent some money but it was mostly planned.
    I'm going on holiday on Tuesday for a week and then I'm back for two weeks and then going away again! The flights and hotels are paid for for next week and so today I picked up some currency (pre-ordered) and got some toiletries to take. Then I have a credit card with no fees for spending abroad for most of our spending. The second trip is to New York to visit a friend. I bought the flights way back in January using Avios that I had saved and in the sale so the flights were pretty cheap. I'm staying with my friend so no accommodation to pay for but I will take her for a dinner to thank her. I have a regular saver account that finishes up this week so my plan is to use that for holiday spends and keep whatever is left to go into a new savings account.
    Other than that account, I have hardly any savings, which is not good. I have calculated that if I was to go on maternity leave for 9 months I would need just over £5000 to make up my pay. This seems huge and I know that the company I work with has a pretty generous mat pay scheme so I wonder how other people do it. I'm going to set up a savings account somewhere outside of my normal banks so that I don't see it and am not tempted to spend and try and build up as much of a savings buffer as I can.
    I did call into the T$B to close a couple of accounts as I seem to have little bits of money in a few different accounts, and also a couple of accounts with nothing in them including an ISA which I can't use as I use one with another bank. It's a bit confusing for my simple heed so I have closed the ISA and one other savings account. Then I can transfer my savings out to the mat fund account somewhere else and try and forget that I have that money.
    I did owe a lot of money to my sister after finished uni as she gave me a loan so that I could live! She was really relaxed about my paying it back but I hated having it hanging over me so paid her back as soon as I could. Need to find that discipline again to pay back my loan and get saving as I have become really lax and just buy things and book things without really thinking too much about it. Reading through other people's diaries though makes me think I really need to get paying and get saving as you never know what can happen!
    I have a whole load of stuff to photograph in preparation for putting it on eB*y after hols but I have sat down now and will have to find some energy to push myself to do it. I should think of the money!!! Maybe I'll read some more diaries for inspiration.
    Have a good rest of the day everyone!
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 16th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    One step at a time

Well done for having the bottle to post a hell of a lot dont have the bottle.

Post as much as you can
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin