Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Das1joker
    • By Das1joker 9th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Das1joker
    Claiming licenses against income tax
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Claiming licenses against income tax 9th Sep 17 at 12:45 PM
    I currently work in the hospitality field and am currently looking at getting my personal alcohol license to allow me to look for different career opportunities.

I am at a managerial level at my current venue and I am finding more often than not that a personal license is an essential requirment for jobs of a similar level at other venues that involve running bars or managing teams of people serving alcohol.

My question is would I be able to claim the costs of obtaining a personal alcohol license against my income tax if it was a necessity for my job or for a job that I had recently taken up and an employer was unwilling to foot the bill? Usually its around £150-300 for a 1 day course at a training centre.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    I don't think that you can claim for courses that enhance your employability even moreso as PAYE employee.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    If you already have a job that requires you to get one then it's probably allowable but getting one to put you in the position to get a new job probably not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin