First Response Finance and my rights

Options
I am a 32 year old disabled lady, with 3 herniated spinal discs, Fibrmyalgia and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. I bought a car from a Rotherham Business: Moter Brothers.

They advertise finance for cars, 6 months free warranty and a repair or replace clause in their contract within that time frame.

I bought a Renault Megane in February 2017. It failed its first MOT on Engine issues and Electrics but they promised me they had fixed it. They didnt offer me a test drive as they needed to get it into the garage for its MOT, so they just processed my paperwork. On the drive home the engine was really rough, so within 7 days, the car was back with them for repairs. They did not keep me updated or return calls/emails and after 2-3 weeks I finally got the car back. Within 7 days all the problems had come back, so I again tried calling/emailing about repairs. They kept ignoring me, or telling me they will call me back. For 2 months I had no car, while awaiting them to fix it. Finally they took it back. Another 2-3 months they had my car, ignoring my calls/emails until they finally said its too broke to fix, so they are ending my finance/sale agreement.

They have offered me £110 to settle and cancel the finance agreement, for the £1300 we spent on the car and the extra costs of insuring a second car whilst they ignored our calls on updates for the car, so we couldnt even try a longer term insurance deal.

They took the car back and have claimed I drove 4000 miles in 47 days, despite me being chronically ill and unable to leave the house most days. Medically it would be impossible to drive 4000 miles in that time, without being on some serious pain killers that would stop me from driving anyway.

I have been contacted by a few people since I left a review, saying they have had similar happen to them. One lady said they clocked the mileage on her car too, to get out of refunding and another lady said they sold their car part exchange as it failed its MOT and was said to be irreparable. The lady saw the car online advertised 2 days later with full MOT, which she knew could not have been done. She said she feels sorry for whoever ends up with her broken vehicle.

I have no idea what I should do and just seem to get screwed to a wall, no matter where I turn.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should try trading standards they are usually good with this type of problem, whilst I would query why you would buy a car on finance when you are "unable to leave the house most days?"
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vicki I truly sympathise with you but the only suggestions I would have, would be to first get together with other affected people and contact BBC Watchdog, Trading Standards, your MP, a newspaper, in fact anyone who can help. There is also the Disability Rights Commission:
    http://www.drc.org.uk/
    Disability Rights advice;
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/getting-advice

It seems to me that you are a classic case for PIP and help for Getting Around, which would give you a Motability car:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

If you read all the information regarding PIP and apply, remember that your claim will most probably be turned down at least once, but you can appeal and continue to appeal. Your claim, if you are eventually successful, will be backdated to the date you first claimed. Do you have a good GP and/or a consultant you can call upon for medical evidence? Use them. If you make a claim, ask for paper documentation: don't fill it in online. Get a photocopy of all forms and documents that you fill in, so that you have evidence of your statements about your problems.

I aslo have herniated discs, and a broken vertebra repaired with carbon fibre, which led to partial paralysis and limb weakness in all 4 limbs. I have more problems as well, but the main problem which gave me DLA (before PIP came in) was the spinal/leg problems. If you could get PIP, you would be able to have a Motability car.

Good luck, and don't give in - that's what this government want you to do.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    You should try trading standards they are usually good with this type of problem, whilst I would query why you would buy a car on finance when you are "unable to leave the house most days?"

I know exactly what she means by that. She is not able to manage long journeys, but shopping, family visits and entertainment are a huge, almost impossible task for anyone with these kind of disabilities. The phrasing is "For help with Getting Around" and it means exactly that: when you cannot walk far unaided, a car is a blessing. Being stuck inside four walls is a curse, believe me. I know in my case that my life would be very different if I did not have access to a car. Most able-bodied people cannot imagine not being able to get up and go out whenever they wish.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • vicky982
    Options
    Thank you Robisere, that is exactly my case. I work part time on full flexi time with some work at home too, but I have to rest for two days prior to working, just to get anything done.
    I am on PIP daily living, but a technicality that they missed me addressing elsewhere, caused no mobility but it is being contested at the moment.
    Some days I cant leave the house at all, but no day can I walk to the shop physically.

I have been posting around Facebook for sale sites. I will message the others for a collective response, that is a good idea, along with the MP. I contacted trading standards today.

Thank you
  • NormalPerson
    Options
    So who is at Fault here? The Finance company or the Motor Dealer?

????

Personally, I'm fed up with people assuming either.

Fed up with all over the news Drinking Alcohol has not been linked with causing cancer for people strongly enough... What!! Its about time people stopped blaming companies, governments and organisations and started taking responsibility for their own actions.

If you drink, could be it harmful in excess?? Seriously what do you think?
    You smoke. could it be harmful to your body? Seriously what do you think?
    Too much fatty food?? Come on you know where this is going....... of Course, it will be bad they all will its common sense.

Buying a car without even test driving it?? Come on what are you thinking though, really??
  • vicky982
    Options
    My illness is neurological and the drive over to Rotherham triggers it. I am on my own and I can get hoodwinked easy as my mind is really clouded over and I really struggle. I still have to live and support myself though. They were very sweet with it and made it sound all ok and normal, I think it just all happened quite quickly and the girl doing my paperwork acted like this was normal.
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    vicky982 wrote: »
    My illness is neurological and the drive over to Rotherham triggers it. I am on my own and I can get hoodwinked easy as my mind is really clouded over and I really struggle. I still have to live and support myself though. They were very sweet with it and made it sound all ok and normal, I think it just all happened quite quickly and the girl doing my paperwork acted like this was normal.

No need to explain yourself, Vicky. I can't offer you any advice but I hope you get it sorted.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another option for you is to take them to court.

Most of these type of companies don't bother defending cases, so you may win by default.

Then for a further £66 you could escalate it to the high court, and send HCEO round to the garage to either get the cash or remove goods to the value of your claim.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure