Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2,217Posts
    • 9,036Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    At what age?
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    At what age? 7th Sep 17 at 2:34 PM
    Did you really feel your age?

and what age do you think you look? older or younger?

Did you look your age when you were young and do you look your age now?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2916.3
    This week 72.8
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 9,036 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    I probably felt my actual age when I was about 33-35 and that was the case for a few years but since then I feel younger than my current age.

I probably still look older than I am, I always have since I was about 14. When I was 18 I got mistaken for 30, when I was 25 I was told that I looked 35, at 30 it was 50
    Now that I am 57 I am still mistaken for someone older, the last person to say thought I was 65

I still feel as though I'm in my 40s rather than my 50s
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2916.3
    This week 72.8
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 6,531 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    I used to look young for my age but I think things went downhill after the age of 35, lookswise and healthwise.

I used to get asked for ID when I bought alcohol regularly up until my early 30s.

I feel old in some ways as I do hear the current music and think it all sounds the same. My younger brother plays music in his car and it all sounds like jangly rubbish to me. I know that is a sign of definite middle-age.

I do get treated like I'm younger, though. I don't know if it is to do with my general expression on my face or my voice, but people often treat me as if I am much younger. For example today I was out on the underground in London and an older woman came up to me and told me to zip up my bag in case I get my purse stolen.This type of thing happens to me a lot. I must have an innocent face.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • oldhand
    • By oldhand 7th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 7,286 Thanks
    oldhand
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    Mrs OH asked me did I think she looked a bit like Debbie Reynolds,I told her she looked a lot more like Burt Reynolds. Yes that was the wrong thing to say...
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 7th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 12,742 Posts
    • 48,630 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    I was always mistaken for younger, right up until about 5 years ago. I felt younger than my years too. But now it's all gone belly up and I think I look my age and I feel older, mostly due to health related issues, carrying too much weight and general wear and tear
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 26,740 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    Always felt younger. I hate the idea of becoming an old fart and being told your too old for this or too old for that. In my late teens I looked younger because I always got asked for id in pubs. Now I probably just look my age. I can't remember the last time someone said I look younger or older than I am.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    When i was driving the Cab, i use to do nights, and my Mum did the days. Often people would say to me........" I was in this Cab, this afternoon. Is that your Missus that does the days ?
    I never knew how to take that. Did it mean my Mum looked young, or did it mean i looked .......aaahhh.
    But there again people would call me Son, when i could see they were much younger than me.
    My brown hair is now going more and more silver ash.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 7th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    It hasn't happened yet! I am 27 this month but still get ID'd when buying alcohol, as does my husband (he's 25). I find it frustrating. especially when I've forgotten to bring my ID!!
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • horleyflyer
    • By horleyflyer 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    horleyflyer
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    People are usually surprised when I tell them my age and always say they thought I was younger.
    I'm active and try to live life to the full...the rest is down to genes I guess
    Girls do it better....
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 7,428 Thanks
    Gavin83
    When I was young a lot of people would assume I was older. I started puberty quite young so by 13/14 I had a full on facial hair and a deep voice.

However I don't really look any older than I did when I was 21, except I've put a bit of weight on. Most of my friends are either going bald or grey, currently I'm not suffering either. I thank my parents for their good genes!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 13,060 Posts
    • 17,279 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    It hasn't happened yet! I am 27 this month but still get ID'd when buying alcohol, as does my husband (he's 25). I find it frustrating. especially when I've forgotten to bring my ID!!
    Originally posted by Trina90
    The last time I was ID'd buying alcohol, I was 47.

Bizarrely, they wanted me to prove I was over 40!
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 26,740 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Originally posted by Trina90
    I saw a professional looking couple buying wine in their shopping get asked for id in asda once. They were obviously old enough and not teens upto no good. They looked so embarrassed and everyone in the queue was saying how ridiculous it was.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 26,740 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The last time I was ID'd buying alcohol, I was 47.

Bizarrely, they wanted me to prove I was over 40!
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Did you remind them the law says 18.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 13,060 Posts
    • 17,279 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Did you remind them the law says 18.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    The law actually says 21. It was in the USA.

There as here though, shops can set their own rules.
    • MacMickster
    • By MacMickster 8th Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    MacMickster
    Mrs OH asked me did I think she looked a bit like Debbie Reynolds,I told her she looked a lot more like Burt Reynolds. Yes that was the wrong thing to say...
    Originally posted by oldhand
    I was once trying on sunglasses when out shopping with Mrs M. I used the old Foster Grant line "do you think these make me look like Errol Flynn?".

The response was "You look just like him - dead and decomposed".

I'm just glad I asked her on a good day.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 8th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 26,740 Posts
    • 14,405 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The law actually says 21. It was in the USA.

There as here though, shops can set their own rules.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Ok, you could say why 40 when the law says 21.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 13,060 Posts
    • 17,279 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Ok, you could say why 40 when the law says 21.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    The law only sets a minimum age but there is no law saying that anybody over the age of 18/21 has to be served or preventing a shop setting age higher age restrictions of their own.

Maybe they had a problem with under 40 drunks in the neighbourhood.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 08-09-2017 at 6:14 PM.
    • AElene
    • By AElene 8th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    AElene
    I was able to kid myself I was still young until I hit 40. Then I started buying all those Boots Protect and Perfect, and Oil of Olay products, thinking they'd help my skin look young again (I don't bother with them anymore)

I'm not sure how old I look, but I don't have grey hair yet and I'm well into my 40s now. I've seen people as young as 19 or 20 getting the odd grey hair, so that's something I feel pleased about
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 8th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    I still get asked for ID when buying alcohol in a supermarket, but never in a bar. I get asked for ID when trying to get into a bar though! I always ask the people in the supermarket how old they think I am, and normally they say "around 19, 20". I laugh heartily and show them my ID as I'm in my early 30s - some of them have been really embarrassed.

Still don't feel my age! Though, when I recently adopted a cat, I said to the person who handed me the carrier "I suddenly feel like I've become a parent". I had a genuine pang of fear go right through my chest as though I'd taken on a massive adult responsibility like never before.

That was despite the fact I've been working since I was 18, I've been married and divorced, lived alone and can genuinely say "I've seen things" during my time living in London. Life's a weird thing, for some people a marriage and divorce would age them way beyond their years - for me, it just prompted me to feel young and maybe a bit irresponsible again, do the things I missed out on, inject risk into my life because I enjoy it.

I don't ever want to feel my age, I think I'd be really boring.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 8th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 8,023 Posts
    • 12,355 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I've never felt my age.

I'm in my early 50s and I'm lucky to have had experienced good health until now.

When I had my 40th, colleagues were surprised and thought I looked a lot younger. Had my 50th a couple of years ago and still don't feel my age.

I've been working since the age of 18 and never stopped. Been mortgage free for a few years too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin