Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greatorex1987
    • By Greatorex1987 6th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Greatorex1987
    Any Treadmill advice?
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    Any Treadmill advice? 6th Sep 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hello all,

I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home.

I did a little search and found a thread from 2009 but nothing else is jumping out of the search box since.

----------

Are there any good recommendations for a robust folding treadmill at a decent price?

I would think my budget is up to £600, although I'd prefer to spend less.

It is just so much money for these kind of things that I wanted to ask you lot first
    Last edited by Greatorex1987; 06-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    They make a good clothes horse...
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 6th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    We have a York Fitness that has been very heavily used by two very overweight people.

It has let us down once when the motor lost torque.

Thought it was out of warranty but on enquiring with York on how much a new motor would be was told that they would send an engineer out for free, who spent about 2hrs replacing the motor and calibrating it and giving some useful advice on best use (IE don't stand on the deck when starting it up, places too much strain on the motor ).

He also bought a replacement console in case it was that playing up, and left it with me as a spare.

You want to find one with a nice large, well sprung running deck.

We did the C25K on ours then, when we had lost some weight started to run more outside. I still use it quite a lot but the wife just doesn't like it anymore and prefers to run outside.

I will use my Kindle Fire to watch stuff on which helps with the monotony.

I would say that £600 is a minimum to spend to get a good quality, robust one so make sure it is what you want, as ididntgetwhereiamtoday says they do make good (but very expensive) clothes horses.

Edit: Make sure to check the max user weight (don't know if this will be an issue for you ), ours is 150kg.
    Last edited by RichardD1970; 06-09-2017 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Additional info
    • Greatorex1987
    • By Greatorex1987 7th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Greatorex1987
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    What about specific brands and models? Or is it best to just go running/get a gym membership tbh?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    What about specific brands and models? Or is it best to just go running/get a gym membership tbh?
    Originally posted by Greatorex1987
    It's far better just to use the treadmill that starts outside your front gate and goes on for as long as you want it to.

But if you do want one, go to a decent sport/gym supply shop and try some. All treadmills are definitely not created equal and you should spend as much as you can, if you don't want something that creaks and rattles every time you step on it.
    • amfan
    • By amfan 7th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    amfan
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    What do you hate so much about jogging outside? Is it the thought of others being able to see you? When I started running that was my biggest fear - what people in their cars would think as they drove past! I chose a bridle path to start running on to minimise the risk of seeing anyone. It really doesn't take long for the fear to go, maybe you could give it a go somewhere secluded to start with?
    • singhini
    • By singhini 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    singhini
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    i bought a treadmill off ebay about 12 years ago for £250 (lifefitness 9500hr classic series). It was an ex-gym piece of equipment. Ive never had to spend any money on it over the years (guess I got lucky)

its in my garage where I have freeview TV (I use TV and radio to help pass the time).

Over the 12 years I have had periods of not using it and it just sat there (as pointed out, they make an expensive clothes horse). But for me a treadmill supplements out-door running (Treadmills are great for running at an incline at a constant speed, but I prefer running out doors where the gradient constantly changes and you get natural air).

Do invest in good running trainers (suited to your style of running), and do change them every 500-ish miles.

Personally I would start to walk/run around your neighbourhood rather than spend £600

Do you have a "park-run" or "fun-run" near you (they have people of all ages and abilities and are great fun).
    • Greatorex1987
    • By Greatorex1987 13th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Greatorex1987
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    I guess it is a mixture of feeling insecure about being outside running looking fat and sweaty and living next to a busy train station and stuff. I got fed up of the gym because of how much it costs and how little I was going/using when I did go. Maybe i will just need to bite the bullet and get out jogging and drag my girlfriend along or something, thank you for the responses though.

The more I read treadmill reviews, the more I'm put off - there is almost 1 complaint on every model i have liked, and I had a very bad experience with Reebok the other year with an exercise bike.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 43,580 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    Try a second-hand Precor from ebay/facebook/schpock etc
    • davidbell01
    • By davidbell01 14th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidbell01
    Hello all,

I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in own home.

I did a little search and found a thread from 2009 but nothing else is jumping out of the search box since.

----------

Are there any good recommendations for a robust folding treadmill at a decent price?

I would think my budget is up to £600, although I'd prefer to spend less.

It is just so much money for these kind of things that I wanted to ask you lot first
    Originally posted by Greatorex1987
    Go for sole fitness, proform or lifespan. Any model from these brands can work for you. My recommendation is to go for Sole Fitness S77 because its durable and best for home use. Mine still works like a charm and didn't have any issues from the last 2 years.
    • AirJoe
    • By AirJoe 20th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    AirJoe
    If I see an out of shape guy or girl running round the park I have nothing but respect for them. They're getting it done despite their fears!

If it helps, a bit of countryside can reduce prying eyes and also give you some nice scenery to look at. There's no harm in driving somewhere nice or more secluded to go for a run. Or if you can get to a park that's popular with runners then you can just blend in with the running crowd. Other runners will always respect someone making the effort too.

If you can get over that first psychological hurdle, you'll be enoying it before you know it
    • amfan
    • By amfan 25th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    amfan
    Don't let what others think of you put you off from running outside. Anyone who runs will just think good on you anyway. But it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you don't know them and anyone who has a negative thought towards someone getting out and exercising doesn't deserve a moments notice. Try looking up your local park run, you'll be running with hundreds of other people of all shapes and sizes and you'll find a whole community of people who just run for the fun of it.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 25th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 5,469 Thanks
    jack_pott
    How about this one.
    • Greatorex1987
    • By Greatorex1987 29th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Greatorex1987
    Cheers for the replies/ideas - I ended up getting an exercise bike!
    • Robinio
    • By Robinio 2nd Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Robinio
    I was just about to reply asking why a treadmill and not exercise bike!

What bike did you go for in the end, and where did you get it from? And is it any good?!
    • Greatorex1987
    • By Greatorex1987 2nd Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Greatorex1987
    I ended up grabbing a Roger Black from Argos.

Argos catalogue number 5999374

It folds up which I need for my flat and was a major part in the choice. The reviews were very positive and there was lots to read.

I'm 5'10 and it is a good size for me. The resistances are nice too, it feels much smoother than the cheaper bikes so I'm glad I paid more than I initially wanted to. Feels sturdy too. So far I would recommend! Doing 25mins a night and then can always do jogging still when I get fitter.

Argos are nuts nowadays too - I ordered it at about 2pm on a Sunday, paid them the £4 for same day delivery and had it delivered at 4pm by a nice cheerful guy who even offered to bring it upstairs for me! Such a good service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,411Users online

Martin's Twitter