Settling account - Santander wants a lot of info about finances

Options
bigsmall999
bigsmall999 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 22 July 2017 at 6:04PM in Debt-free wannabe
Apologies if this isn't posted in the correct place.

I'm currently in the process of negotiating settlements and clearing several defaulted credit accounts. I have already settled two (at 26% and 35%; total original debt ~£3k), and have four left to clear. (total ~£16k).

One of the remaining accounts is a defaulted Santander loan, and the debt is currently owned and administered by them. I offered them a partial settlement and they have replied with a long, detailed form requesting info on (among other things): my income, my expenditures, other credit accts/debts, offers for settlement I've sent out for these accounts, etc.

So my question is, how should I respond to this? Am I legally obliged to inform Santander of these other debts and financial info? If I'm honest about my other debts, could this prejudice Santander against a settlement? Also, can they use my current income against me (you earn this much, therefore you could settle at a higher rate)?

Please advise!

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Partial settlement implies you can't afford full payment. Seems reasonable for them to ask for evidence of this.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

So my question is, how should I respond to this? Am I legally obliged to inform Santander of these other debts and financial info? If I'm honest about my other debts, could this prejudice Santander against a settlement? Also, can they use my current income against me (you earn this much, therefore you could settle at a higher rate)?

Please advise!

Hi,

In this situation, your not obliged to fill in any forms or share any information, with anyone.

You can choose to fill in as much, or as little of the form as you deem necessary.

The purpose of the form is to establish that the offer you are making is affordable, so to avoid this, just say the money is a gift from a relative, only available for a short time, and if the price is right.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bigsmall999
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Partial settlement implies you can't afford full payment. Seems reasonable for them to ask for evidence of this.
    I wasn't questioning whether it's reasonable for them to ask, rather what the best course of action is for me.
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

In this situation, your not obliged to fill in any forms or share any information, with anyone.

You can choose to fill in as much, or as little of the form as you deem necessary.

The purpose of the form is to establish that the offer you are making is affordable, so to avoid this, just say the money is a gift from a relative, only available for a short time, and if the price is right.
    Thanks for your reply.

I already said on my settlement offer letter that it's a gift from a relative etc. So in my reply to their letter, should I reiterate these points and refuse to offer any other information?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure