Lowell Debt Collectors

Options

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He has sent for his £2 report should have more info on there, should it have been removed from the full report. He's looking at the free experian credit score which only gives a bit of info
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    He ideally needs to check his records.

The CRA files rely on information given to them by lenders and debt buyers. It's likely to be inaccurate and tilted in their interests.

Like another thread near this one, the longer this goes on, the more sure he can be that this is statute barred. It's a complete defence to any court claim
  • Justice13075
    edited 23 July 2017 at 6:01PM
    Options
    My son is still waiting for his pass key but he has found a letter dated October 2015 from Lowell. I must have sent them a prove it letter because they replied that although they believe he owes the debt they are not going to chase him for it but they will leave the default on his file. If they cannot prove the debt how can they leave the default on his file. I will know more when I can see his file. I have just
    found this on his credit score. Account started 16th Feb 20011 Default date 14th January 2013. Don't know when Lowell bought the debt but we obviously had contact with Lowell around mid 2015.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Seems straightforward then. It's his debt. They're not going to demand payment. The default is accurate, though the date of it may be a bit off

Earlier advice still applies - they're not contacting you. Why poke it with a stick? Unless he is applying for a mortgage or something between now and the end of next year.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    They cannot prove it's his debt so can he get the default removed otherwise the default was put on on Jan 2013 meaning it will stay on for another 18 months until Jan 2019.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    My son has a default on his file from Oct 2016 for a £55 debt from 3. he wants to pay the full £55 off. Will they remove the default or just change it to settled
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Must be nearly statute barred. Am I correct in thinking that Lowell haven't actually contacted you for a while ? If so, I would leave it. If they're not bothering you, don't bother them. As more time passes, then the statute barred status becomes increasingly likely.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    My son has a default on his file from Oct 2016 for a £55 debt from 3. he wants to pay the full £55 off. Will they remove the default or just change it to settled
    They'll change to to settled.

Just so you know, just because a debt is unenforceable for any reason, does not mean that the reporting of the debt, including defaults ceases.

It means they cannot bring a court claim to enforce the debt. Unless if the creditor writes off a debt and wipes it from their records completely, they're perfectly entitled to report a defaulted debt to the CRA systems.

However, in this case, it is reasonable to ask for the default date the original post refers to be backdated to 6 months after last payment, which is the maximum reasonable time for an account to be defaulted as per regulations.

Of course, the newer default is now completely wrecking your sons credit file again anyway, and while it likely wont make much odds, it's worth appealing to Three to ask for the default to be removed as a goodwill upon full payment.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    my son has paid the £55 and the best Three will do is mark it now as settled. Who should he write to at Three to try and get this taken off his file.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    my son has paid the £55 and the best Three will do is mark it now as settled. Who should he write to at Three to try and get this taken off his file.

They have no incentive to do so now it's been paid.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure