Eating salad

Options
Tonight I sat eating my tea which was pizza and a huge salad. Often I will pile my plate with a huge salad, because it's healthy and my husband also really enjoys a salad meal and it's easier if we eat the same.

On most occasions I will eat a few bits of cucumber, a few nibbles on a lettuce leaf and that's me done, I don't finish it and it goes in the bin. However a few dollops of full fat mayo and I eat the lot.

It made me wonder, am I better to not eat the salad, or is it better in terms of vitamins and minerals to eat it albeit with additional calories and fats in the mayonnaise.
I know there are fat free salad dressings but I don't like them, it's all or nothing.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would be more concerned about the pizza, than salad and mayo.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

ditch the pizza, use tuna (mixed with diced raw onion and cooking apple), forget the mayo, sprinkle the salad with tabasco.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your not going to eat it why put it on the plate knowing you are just going to bin it?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Well the mayonnaise won't negate the nutrients in the salad, but the salad won't cancel out the mayonnaise either, they're seperate factors.
    If you're watching your weight and trying to keep your calories down then eating a salad with a calorie dense dressing might not be the best idea, you'd be better off eating other vegetables that you can eat on their own. But if that's not a consideration, and you enjoy eating salad with mayonnaise, then eat it.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Eat as much salad as you like, but go easy on the mayo/dressing. Dump the pizza and have two boiled eggs.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had pizza because it was what we were having as a treat, something we don't eat very often.

I can't eat tabasco sauce, throat surgery and radiotherapy, stops me eating really spicy food.

I always want to eat salad, I always start off with good intentions and I get fed up with all the chewing. The radiotherapy killed off my salivary glands.

Mayo really helps me to swallow, given the problems I have had in the past. I really didn't want not to eat salad but if the only way I can is with mayo, is it worth the extra calories?

Thanks for all the comments and I love hard boiled eggs, but they also need a bit of mayo!!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I had pizza because it was what we were having as a treat, something we don't eat very often.

I can't eat tabasco sauce, throat surgery and radiotherapy, stops me eating really spicy food.

I always want to eat salad, I always start off with good intentions and I get fed up with all the chewing. The radiotherapy killed off my salivary glands.

Mayo really helps me to swallow, given the problems I have had in the past. I really didn't want not to eat salad but if the only way I can is with mayo, is it worth the extra calories?

Thanks for all the comments and I love hard boiled eggs, but they also need a bit of mayo!!

Life's too short so if you like mayo on your salad then eat it that way.

You are getting the goodness from the salad and enjoying eating it with the mayo, so stick to your guns :)

Adding egg or tuna would certainly jazz the salad up some more and both are full of goodness too.

And a pizza as a treat is never a bad thing imho :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts for what they are worth is eat what you can and what you enjoy. It is all food at the end of the day and as I am sure you are well aware, life is far to short to worry about a spot of mayo!
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    have you tried paul newman dressings, I like the Italian dressing and the whole range taste amazing (while doing good). http://www.newmansown.co.uk/recipes/dressing.html

Have you tried making all the peppers, tomato and everything cropped very small like an Israeli salad to limit the amount of chewing.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Make the pizza from scratch, really not difficult and you know exactly what goes into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure