Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Looopsy1
    • By Looopsy1 13th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Looopsy1
    Bankruptcy and new partner??
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    Bankruptcy and new partner?? 13th Jul 17 at 4:56 PM
    I'm trying to go through the MAP route but if I'm not awarded I'll have to consider the standard route. I'm off work long term at the moment because of crohns disease so I'm aware I wouldn't be expected to pay anything at the moment as I have no disposal money...however me & my boyfriend are thinking of moving in together towards the end of the year so I'm wondering if they would expect him to make regular payments? I accrued all of my debt before I even met him.
    Any advice greatly appreciated,
    L
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 11,206 Posts
    • 10,873 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    Hi,

We move posts if we think they will get more help elsewhere, so I have moved your post to the "bankrupcy and living with it" board.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • chev chelios
    • By chev chelios 18th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chev chelios
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    I started dating someone 3 months after she went BK. we've moved in together at my place 6 months later.

I cannot remember the specifics, but I have never been asked to pay anything. I think that the "trick" is to keep your finances separate, ie. you do not pay for anything other than your share of the bills and he doesn't support you financially.

Hope this helps.
    • Mouse007
    • By Mouse007 18th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Mouse007
    • 18th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    You have my every sympathy with the Crohn's, hope you can get into remission soon.

In the meantime the good news is your boyfriend will not, under any circumstances, be required to contribute anything. Your debts are not his.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,590Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin