Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,499Posts
    • 3,680Thanks
    ani*fan
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt 10th Jul 17 at 7:41 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm an old-timer around here and have managed to reduce my debt from £18,780 in February 2014 to £6,750 today. That's £12,030 paid off and I could not have done it without the help of Martin and everyone on here. Thank you, lovely people!

I thought I'd start a new diary as my circumstances have changed considerably since Feb 2014 and it feels like a whole new stage of life. I'm about to be married; this is all saved for, who knew I could save? I've also bought a flat with OH; the deposit and fees were all saved for with some help from future in-laws too, who knew anyone would ever give me a mortgage? I've finished my training course, who knew I could do that? Things are good right now and the final hurdle is getting rid of this debt. OH refers to it as 'pizza debt', the debt I have nothing to show for, when I bought stuff I didn't need, for no reason, like takeaway pizza. It made me laugh and it's absolutely true.

So, the debt looks like this:

HSBC £4,950 0% 'til October 2018
    Overdraft £1,800 0% 'til September 2020

HSBC is the target debt and I pay a fixed £150 every month towards this, roughly £20 over the minimum amount. The overdraft is not being paid off at the moment, other than once a month when my wage goes in. I discovered my credit is good when we got the mortgage and I'm trying to keep it that way.

The flat we bought was an absolute bargain and has the potential to be beautiful but is in serious need of repair. This is the main ongoing financial concern at the moment and I am on it to keep costs right down. So far so good, but we'll see.

A few things I've discovered along this debt-busting journey:
    • I've become quite good at managing money, but it can all go to bits in a moment so I still need to work hard at keeping on top of it.
    • Getting my debt on 0% was the single biggest factor helping to reduce the debt.
    • Car free living was the second biggest factor and I hope to never own a car again.
    • Keeping living costs down is very satisfying.

So that's where I'm at. Feel free to comment, advise, whatever. It's lovely to be sharing this last part of the journey with you all.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Page 3
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 9th Aug 17, 6:18 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thanks hiddenshadow. I think I need all the luck I can get!

And hi redofromstart. Thanks for the tips about the wood burner. I'm good at setting a fire, but never had a thing like this so we'll see how it goes. I may come back to you for more advice.

So our workman came round and did a great job dismantling the fireplace. It's very tidy indeed and we had a chat about what happens next. He's going to pick up some stuff he needs to level off the brick and then get the plaster board fitted. This is all going remarkably well so far. Good.

I'm off work today and have a million chores to do. Ah well. Happy debt busting everyone.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 9th Aug 17, 8:55 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Re woodburner: if you have a Wilkinsons near I've found their fire-lighters are good, price and effectiveness. Don't bother with the ones where you have to use a full one each time, get ones you can crumble across the kindling etc to help it start and spread... Not describing it v well, hope you get the idea
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 14th Aug 17, 6:39 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thanks for the tips about the wood burner. It's not installed yet but I'll let you all know how I get on when it is.

Minimum payments have been made and the debt total today stands at £6,450.

Headed in the right direction at least.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 16th Aug 17, 4:56 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Just a quick update on the windows. After day 2 of the fitting, they look ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR! I am so pleased with the look and the amazing finish. One day of fitting left, the main bedroom and the back door to be done. Unfortunately I'm home today so will need to cope with the noise, ah well. Just so pleased to have them almost done.

On a different subject, now that I've started telling people at work that I'm leaving, my employer has offered me the opportunity to create the job of my dreams. Quite literally anything I want. This is an unexpected development and really worth thinking about. Sometimes it helps to be ready to walk away, which I still am, so let's see how the negotiations go.

Happy debt busting everyone.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Aug 17, 8:17 AM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 26,464 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Brilliant news on both fronts. Well done you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 16th Aug 17, 8:25 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Fantastic news!! Windows and job!!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 21st Aug 17, 12:10 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Well done! look forward to hearing how things develop on the job offer front...
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 27th Aug 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hi everyone

I don't have loads to report on the debt front or on the house renovations front or about the wedding, but I thought I'd check in anyway.

Everything's ticking along according to plan. The stove is almost finished but work got delayed while we waited for a part to arrive. It's here now and the stove will be finished tomorrow. We have been bashing on with the great multi-layered wall paper strip. Omg they had quite some taste in the 60s. This is a job from hell involving giant ladders, buckets of water and loads of time. But we WILL get there.

My job will be advertised this week. I've been preparing for the interview and feel alright about it.

Otherwise all is quiet with me. I hope you are all well and debt busting away like crazy. I'm excited that after the wedding I can redirect bigger amounts of the cash to debt. But I need to be patient and that's ok.

Have a great day everyone.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 27th Aug 17, 1:19 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 26,080 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Glad everything is ticking along nicely, have a lovely day x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 13th Sep 17, 6:01 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Well it's only a few weeks now until the wedding. The final costing for things has been calculated and everything is coming in on budget so that's good. Just a few final things to book.

The electrics are almost finished. That's been a massive job, with OH getting poorly in the middle of it all and needing to lie in bed while the electrician turned off the power and got on with things. Oh well, it's almost done.

The stove, btw, got cancelled. We hit a stumbling block with regulations and it turned out our fitter just didn't have a clue. We're back to an open fire, and that's just fine. The stove will be on gumtree at some point.

Other than that we're all good. Hope everyone else is too. I hate to say it but with the weather take a turn for the chillier, Christmas is coming...shhh...
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 23rd Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I haven't updated for a while, so here's the news...

I'm married! It all went very well indeed and it was a lovely day. Some truly happy memories were made. I'm now wondering what wedding stuff I can sell...my dress? We'll see.

Our house is further on than it has ever been and now has new windows, new electrics and a new combi boiler. The floor has been treated for wood worm and a damp patch has been checked out and declared nothing major; we need to seal a chimney and clear out wet debris. The junk has been cleared from the sheds after we hired a massive skip. The walls are being prepped for painting and we need some skirting fitted throughout and doors hung. Overall we're getting there. The guttering still needs fixed but I'm on it.

I interviewed for my job and was offered it. I've accepted it for the time being, but long term I'm looking for something else. It'll do for now while the renovations are happening.

The cash is a bit muddled up as we had some last minute expenses for the wedding. It needs looking at but I'm onto that too.

Happy debt busting everyone. It's good to be back!
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 23rd Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 10,213 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Congrats on all the updates, especially the wedding!
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Nov '17 £105,759
    2017 MFW #56: £13,909/£15,000 92% / MFiT-T4 #15: £53,740/£90,000 59%
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 23rd Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 26,464 Thanks
    in need of direction
    congratulations, here's to a joint lifetime of happiness
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 23rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Congratulations... The memories are the best thing x
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 24th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Huge congratulations on everything. Sounds like everything is going well and falling into place at the moment. Enjoy married life, (and your new windows as well )
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • misstara
    • By misstara 24th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 17,084 Thanks
    misstara
    Congratulations ani
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 10/18.
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 25th Oct 17, 7:12 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Congratulations!!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 28th Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Congratulations ani*fan
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 28th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 26,080 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Congratulations x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 31st Oct 17, 5:48 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thank you all so much for your lovely messages. All your good wishes are truly appreciated. It really was a spectacular day and I'm so glad we decided to get married like that. Such good feelings.

The pizza debt has been having minimum payments made to it since the last update. The total now stands at £6,150. Getting better all the time.

We need to keep on with the house renovations so I'm not sure how quickly I can make the debt go down further, but I am getting right onto it, doing my sums, and without the wedding spreadsheet to worry about hopefully I can get a few over payments happening.

Happy debt busting everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter