Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 8th Jul 17, 5:30 AM
    • 2,786Posts
    • 1,069Thanks
    trinidadone
    Is being very neighborly a thing of the past, or still alive and kicking?
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:30 AM
    Is being very neighborly a thing of the past, or still alive and kicking? 8th Jul 17 at 5:30 AM
    On returning home from work yesterday, i notice one of my fellow neighbors had parked there car outside my home, and the drivers side window was wide open.

I had only seen the driver in the street, but never spoke to them. I knew they lived on the opposite side of my road.
    I tried one house a few times, and eventually someone came to the door. i asked about the vehicle, and they told me it was not theirs.

The first neighbour offered to show me the house who she thought owned the vehicle. I knocked on door two, and spoke to the second neighbour via a upstairs window. She was truly grateful for being told.

Is this sort of thing still happening, or dead and buried?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 1
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 19,905 Posts
    • 226,348 Thanks
    Valli
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    Think it depends... hereI have fabulous neighbours, there is one fly in the ointment though, and the last interaction I had with him resulted in a complaint to the police.
    But he's across the road and up a bit. One neighbour cuts my lawn, as our garden adjoin.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 6,872 Posts
    • 18,292 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    +1 for it depends, but you tend to find out the hard way with power and or water cuts.

I kept an eye on an old lady's house for years after she opened the door to me still in her night attire so I could fill jerrycans from her bathtub.
    Having a houseful of lively sons does mean I interact a bit more locally than when a bachelor gal!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 6,823 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    One neighbour I speak to. The other doesn't.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 12,104 Posts
    • 11,506 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    I would do that & I'm sure my neighbours would too.

Always say hello to whoever I pass in the road whether I've seen them before or not.

I stop the car if I see anyone with heavy shopping & either offer them a lift or offer to drop off the shopping at their house - it's a large village so I don't know everyone, but if they're walking they must be local and can't be going too far.

It's probably different if you live in a big town or city though.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 8th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    hunters
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    I think it's being neighbourly but not very neighbourly.

Know all my neighbours in the street although not next door by name yet as they just moved in. Know their cat though
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 21,904 Posts
    • 56,015 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    Very neighbourly here. OH is getting a paper for our elderly neighbour at this moment. We're away next week, another neighbour looks after the house, as we only when she's away.

We did have a neighbour in the old place who bought stuff from catalogues in my name and didn't pay for them.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 8th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 6,795 Posts
    • 14,836 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    I'm the newbie on the end of the Close and, TBH, I have to be careful about how much I let my neighbours know about me!!

I stick to a polite greeting as I get in or out of my car to go to work - not a lot more. Although I do wheel the house-behind-me's bin back for them. I noticed that he is disabled and struggles to guide it along the side of my property.
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 8th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    All our neighbours are lovely and we all help each other out, chat, exchange garden produce, go to each other's bbqs, exchange Christmas cards, cut each other's lawns, keep an eye on each other's properties if on holiday, take bins in etc etc etc. But we don't live in each other's pockets

The wider community is just as neighbourly, everyone chats in queues, says hello when passing in the street etc. We have community centres that are well used, doing pensioner lunch clubs for example, meals on wheels for those that are housebound. If there's illness or a death in the family, everyone is there for you, be it hospital runs, cooking a meal, getting a shop, whatever. No one is left to fend for themselves , there's always a friendly eye somewhere.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 32,254 Thanks
    Gers
    All my neighbours are neighbourly. I live in a rural area where neighbours are generally over a mile away apart from the ones at the other end of this old and large farm building. They are about 100m away.

Everyone keeps a weather eye out for each other without being overbearing or constantly 'popping in'. Last week the nearest neighbour changed my tyre when I got a puncture, the other day another one freed a trapped bird from my woodburner, later I took him to collect his RIB. Foraged fruits are offered, when animals go to the abattoir meat is offered and help is always only a text or phone call away. The postie also collects outgoing mail if needed.

If there's a prolonged power cut the neighbour with a bottled gas stove rings round to offer boiling water for drinks or to heat up a meal.

When we lived in a city centre (for about 20 years) we only knew immediate neighbours in the street. Here people in the village, eight miles away, all say hello to everyone else and smile. Doesn't take much to make strangers friendly.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 8th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I speak to my neighbours if i'm outside in the garden and they're passing, but not a lot more. We send Christmas cards. When i've got loads of apples; plums, or berries growing i'll knock and give it away. One sometimes knocks to check i'm ok if they haven't seen me for a while, 'cos they know i'm here by myself.
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 8th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    The Last Username
    It depends on your neighbours doesn't it?

A bit like posters in forums like this I mean in that generally people are nice, polite and even helpful.
    But there are some, just some, who seem to go out of their way to provoke disagreement. Sometimes trying to be more subtle admittedly but none the less unpleasant and unnecessary for it.

These are the type of neighbours you avoid unless absolutely necessary, just as with some on forums.
    As an example one neighbour, fortunately not close, knows more about us than we ourselves know and tells MIL things that nowadays, knowing better, we can all mostly just laugh at.

Generally we have good neighbours and reciprocate a few deeds during holidays etc. but ours is not a very densely-populated area.
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,941 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Depends .... sometimes ....on who it is.

If it's a neighbour I like, I'd tell them.

If it's a neighbour I despise then I'll sit and watch it and pray for really heavy rain.

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 8th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 8,022 Posts
    • 10,012 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Yes, I know all my neighbours and yes we also all look out for each other.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 8th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    Sleazy
    There's a few elderly ones round our way and we usually put each other's bins in after the bin men have been. Our immediate neighbours go away to the sun for several weeks a couple of times a year and we collect their mail for them. Friendly enough, but not in each other's pockets.
    Signed Sleazy
    The Last Of The Lounge Lizards
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 8th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 7,877 Posts
    • 13,273 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I get on with my neighbours and watch their houses when they are away; I'll also pick up any rubbish that accrues in their gardens.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 6,823 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My parents still exchange Christmas cards with former neighbours - some moved away.. Sad one of them has dementia.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 11th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 4,267 Posts
    • 5,266 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    I live in flats & have a guy to each side & one above, who recently moved in

The one to the left is rarely seen, we just say Hi if we pass & maybe a few words, he's polite & friendly but keeps to himself

The one above sits out on his balcony a fair bit, so i'll chat to him & he helped to calm me down the other night when I got upset

The one on the other side is like a big brother; he always helps with DIY, moving or lifting or opening heavy things etc and is very respectful, kind & protective.

I'm very lucky with the ones I have, especially being in flats
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 6,890 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I put my neighbours bin out for them this morning as the collection was earlier than normal (6:30am) and they were still in bed.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • ameliarate
    • By ameliarate 12th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 6,567 Posts
    • 13,876 Thanks
    ameliarate
    The good news is judging by this thread neighbourliness is still alive and kicking. It certainly is where I live.

There are a mixture of private home and housing association houses where I live. When we saw our new neighbour moving in I must confess to being a bit worried as he looked very rough, tattoos all around his bald head, hardly any teeth. Turns out that though he has got a bit of a history he is lovely. Brings my bins in every week. Has taken up gardening and gives excess veggies to elderly neighbours and is carer for his disabled mum.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin