Payment for mandatory training

I'm a swimming teacher working for a large leisure centre company. It was recently decided that all teachers had to have a life saving qualification so I got sent on a course.

Other swimming teachers that work for the same company but at different sites have been paid for the time that they were on the course however my hours have just been rejected. Can they do this? My boss is stating that as they paid for the course they don't have to pay me to attend it but it was compulsory and I believed that all training hours should be paid (at least minimum wage).

Am I right or do they not have to pay me? Should I talk to my boss about it or try someone at head office?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you employed by them, or self-employed? That might make a difference ...

If your boss has said 'no' but you believe others have been treated differently you could talk to someone at head office, but you won't necessarily get a different answer, and you might cause resentment in your boss ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Bouncb
    Bouncb Posts: 3 Newbie
    I'm technically employed on a zero hours contact by them but no swimming teacher at my site has ever been given an actual contract to sign.
    The issue that I have is that we were told we had to have this qualification in order to continue teaching there and that we had to go on that specific course. I've found a lot of information about what employers have to legally pay for in the USA but haven't found anything comparable for the UK.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    It's work time they should pay.

Did they get you to sign any payback if you stop working.

Go over the local management.

Zero hours....
    one option group action.
    As group you could all just turn down any work offer till they cough up for the time.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd be questioning why a swimming teacher doesn't already have a life saving qualification.
  • Bouncb
    Bouncb Posts: 3 Newbie
    They did't get us to sign anything about paying it back which is good because I'm leaving in September! (They know) As I'm leaving I'm not too fussed about rocking the boat so I shall find someone at head office to contact.

I did have a life saving qualification before but it expired and as there was always a lifeguard on duty they didn't get me to renew until they changed their policy. I did however teach without a DBS check for 2 months because of how desperate this particular centre was!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TBH I don't know for certain whether they should pay, but I can understand why the manager at this centre is reluctant to do so if they know you're leaving in September - they'll get so little benefit from it. So yes, go to head office.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    It is entirely up to your employer if they pay for mandatory training or not. I used to work for a local social care agency and for a couple of years I was not paid for mandatory training if it was outside normal working hours.
  • getmore4less
    training is work time so even if outside normal house is should be paid

An employer can treat is as unpaid(as they can with any hours) as long as it does not take you below min wage
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Being on a zero hours contract, can you afford to rock the boat?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • getmore4less
    Being on a zero hours contract, can you afford to rock the boat?

As a group they can sink the lessons ship.

especially if here are contracts to deliver lessons with staff on zero hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure