Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OzzieExpat
    • By OzzieExpat 11th Jun 17, 12:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    OzzieExpat
    Australian HECS Debt
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:50 AM
    Australian HECS Debt 11th Jun 17 at 12:50 AM
    Hi, I graduated from University in Australia in 1996. I just recently discovered that the Australian government wants to recoup debt from students who went overseas. I have no problem with this. I did contact the Australian government before I left in 1999, at the time there was no facility to pay it back out of your UK wages, you only had one choice, to pay it in one lump sum. That was not an option for me at the time with taking out a bank loan, so I chose to pay it back when I returned.
    The Australian government stopped giving me updates on my HECS many, many years ago and I was told it has probably been written off.
    My question is has the government ever written off any student debt?

I'm also confused as to how this is to be payed back...is it one lump sum and if you don't you can pay it back monthly but with high interest or is it monthly once you earn over the threshold like you have to do when in Australia?
    (by the way, I don't think its fair that the threshold will be based on your gross salary before any UK taxes have been taken out).
    Also, won't making payments every month incur costly bank charges as well?

Can anybody offer advice in this regard?....maybe someone in the same boat.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Jun 17, 6:52 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:52 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:52 AM
    I doubt here are any Australian HECS experts here especially on the rules that are coming in on 1st July about repayments. Have you looked at http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/payingbackmyloan/overseasobligations/pages/overseas-obligations to do d out what you need to do? Do you have an Australian Mygov account linked to your ATO account (http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/news/pages/recovery-of-help-debts-from-overseas-australians- ) or actually looked at that site at all?
    • Malvenrman
    • By Malvenrman 16th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Malvenrman
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    Hi, was what you found out what situation was?

Emigrated sixteen years ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

4,675Users online

Martin's Twitter